setting up a BSD box as my router

Post by P.K. Kru » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm fairly new to the BSD scene and was wanting some information on setting
up a low end pentium as a router, I have a cable modem wcich might cause
problems cause it does with everythign else ;)   my ? is can someone explain
the basics of what I have to do (look into) or anyone have a web site for me
too look into or at. thanx

Post by Chris Hi » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> I'm fairly new to the BSD scene and was wanting some information on setting
> up a low end pentium as a router, I have a cable modem wcich might cause
> problems cause it does with everythign else ;)   my ? is can someone explain
> the basics of what I have to do (look into) or anyone have a web site for me
> too look into or at.

If you're doing this for home use, I'd suggest looking into nat (network
address translation). See the online man pages at http://www.freebsd.org/
- man natd. You also need to run ipfw to make it work - this simplest
configuration being to specify an "open" firewall in /etc/rc.conf.

I've been using a FreeBSD box for this purpose for almost a year now, and
it works like a champ. I have one legitimate IP address, and I'm using an
RFC1918 space for the rest of the home net. The only problem I've had is
that with this arrangement you can't use DNS locally. What I'm doing is
setting all the other machines to use the FreeBSD router box as their
primary DNS server as well as gateway; then set up the FreeBSD box with an
/etc/hosts file which has all my local machines' IPs. Also, make sure your
router box is configured to look first at /etc/hosts, second to DNS for
name resolution.

I don't know from cable modems; my ISP is promising to have DSL available RSN.

Good luck!

--

Hmm... this "Spam-B-Gone" doesn't seem to work...
What would happen if I pulled the plug on the Reality Engine?

Post by Mark Hollowa » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> I'm fairly new to the BSD scene and was wanting some information on setting
> up a low end pentium as a router, I have a cable modem wcich might cause
> problems cause it does with everythign else ;)   my ? is can someone explain
> the basics of what I have to do (look into) or anyone have a web site for me
> too look into or at. thanx

Go to http://freebsd.peon.net
            http://www.freebsddiary.com

They are awesome!

Mark

1. help in setting up linux or bsd box

Is there anyone in the joplin mo area who would be willing to help me ste up
a linux or free bsd machine i am not a programer .I cant be completly
retarded i can make windoze 95 or 98 work on 99% of machines i install it
on. i would like to move to linux or bsd but i do better with a bit of help.
After i get started  and  see a machine sset up once then i can usually at
least get the basics  I have got bsd to load and run but seem to be unable
to get x to run .I imagine it is something simple that iam missin but it
sure as hesk is frustratin

Web pagewww.janics.com/~mwood

2. NetscapeOS

3. setting a linux box as a router or gateway

4. Apache SSI Question

5. Setting up my linux box as a Router(newbie)

6. Simple Question - command to extract file from foo.tar.Z file

7. Setting up Linux box as router?

8. equivalent of "-mt" for GCC and threads?

9. setting up linux box as a router

10. setting up linux box as router (?)

11. how to set up linux box as router?

12. Setting up Linksys router with a unix box (Red Hat v.7)

13. Newbie: How to set a RIP router on a Linux box?