Problems w/FreeBSD on Thinkpad 560

Post by Matt Mosl » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi.  I'm having some really irritating problems with FreeBSD 2.2.1 on an IBM
Thinkpad 560.  Hopefully someone out there has experience with FreeBSD on one
of these things and can help.

The box:  it's a Thinkpad 560, type 2640-50A.  It has the smaller (11.3", I
think) screen, a TGUI video adapter with 1MB of RAM, 24MB of memory onboard,
2.2GB disk, etc.

First of all, I can't for the life of me make XFree86 work properly with the
display.  I've tried all the setup utils, I've tried entering "common" clocks
by hand, etc.  No dice.  It refuses to work in 800x600 mode, only in 640x480
with 256 colors, which is virtually useless.  Microsoft Windows came installed
on the damn thing and it worked just fine in 800x600 mode, and I know the
box supports 16 bit graphics as well.  Does anyone have any idea of what
the XF86Config should look like?

Secondly, I can't make the vt0 console work right.  It screws up the
keyboard badly after using anything that sends any sort of graphical
characters (like Emacs).  The right half of the keyboard suddenly starts
sending seemingly random characters when you hit the keys.  The sc0 seems
to work fine, however.

Finally, whenever I start up X on it and exit it, the screen gets totally
screwed up;  nothing I've tried restores it.  All the characters become
unreadable, on all vty's.

Any help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.  Please
respond via email if you would.

Thanks!
-Matt

Problems w/FreeBSD on Thinkpad 560

Post by Nate Willia » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[ Emailed to poster as suggested as well ]

Quote:>Hi.  I'm having some really irritating problems with FreeBSD 2.2.1 on an IBM
>Thinkpad 560.  Hopefully someone out there has experience with FreeBSD on one
>of these things and can help.

>The box:  it's a Thinkpad 560, type 2640-50A.  It has the smaller (11.3", I
>think) screen, a TGUI video adapter with 1MB of RAM, 24MB of memory onboard,
>2.2GB disk, etc.

Wow, I didn't think they came with a 2.2GB disk.  My boss will be jealous. :)

Quote:>First of all, I can't for the life of me make XFree86 work properly with the
>display.

IBM uses a non-standard modification to the standard display so that it
requires a BIOS call to work 'normally'.  I have this in my bookmarks
which supposedly has links and suggestions on how to get things working,
but if I remember right it'll break 'normal' text mode if you use their
patches, which is the reason I gave up on trying to get it working on my
755CX.

http://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp:81/contrib/sanpei/how2800x600.html

(The link was down when I tried it).

Quote:>with 256 colors, which is virtually useless.  Microsoft Windows came installed
>on the damn thing and it worked just fine in 800x600 mode, and I know the
>box supports 16 bit graphics as well.

That's because Windows has access to the BIOS, and 'Real' OS's don't
because of performance issues.

Nate

--

work #: (406) 457-9000 |

home #: (406) 443-7063 |                                - John Polstra

Post by L. Scott Emmon » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi.  I'm having some really irritating problems with FreeBSD 2.2.1 on an IBM
> Thinkpad 560.  Hopefully someone out there has experience with FreeBSD on one
> of these things and can help.
> [...]

> First of all, I can't for the life of me make XFree86 work properly with the
> display.  I've tried all the setup utils, I've tried entering "common" clocks
> by hand, etc.  No dice.  It refuses to work in 800x600 mode, only in 640x480
> with 256 colors, which is virtually useless.

You are probably stuck with 640x480. I've installed FreeBSD ONCE on a Thinkpad,
and this was all the LCD could do. Windoze works with 800x600 because they have
the necessary drivers required to make it work. XFree does NOT have the drivers
to talk to whatever proprietary hardware is onboard. It ain't normal SVGA...

Quote:> Finally, whenever I start up X on it and exit it, the screen gets totally
> screwed up;  nothing I've tried restores it.  All the characters become
> unreadable, on all vty's.

Ran into this one too, but don't recall what I did about it...

Sorry this doesn't help much,
-Scott
    L. Scott Emmons    | CableData R&D Center - El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
 Sr. Software Engineer |   Special Projects, Systems Development Dept
    (916) 939-6088     |  Views and content are my own, not CableData's

Try http://www.yy.cs.keoi.ac.jp/~sanpei/how2800x600.html

Post by Minoru mitt Shimu » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > http://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp:81/contrib/sanpei/how2800x600.html

> Try http://www.yy.cs.keoi.ac.jp/~sanpei/how2800x600.html

Try http://www.yy.cs.keio.ac.jp/~sanpei/how2800x600.html  again
and http://www.freebsd.or.jp/PAO/  .
---
+-===-=-=---=-----=-===-===-===---===-===-===---=-=-=-===-===-+

| Kyoto, Japan   <Home http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~yu8m-smr/ >|
+-=-===-===-=---===-===-===---===-===-=-=------===-=-===------+

1. RedHat 5.2 on Thinkpad 560 - floppy problem

Hello,

        I have installed 5.2 on two desktop machines without a problem, but
I've run into a glitch installing it on a Thinkpad 560.  The installer loads
fine, but when trying to load the supplemental floppy (I don't have a cdrom
for the machine, so an NFS install via my PCMCIA ethernet card
is my only install option) the installer dies in the following way:

mounting fd0 on /tmp/image as type ext2
creating directory /tmp/imag rc = 0
calling mount(/tmp/fd0, /tmp/image, ext2, -1058209791,(nil))
removing device f ile /tmp/fd0
copying 1440 blocks from fd0 to ram2
error reading from device: no such file or directory
mounting ram2 on /tmp/image as type ext2
calling mount(/tmp/ram2, /tmp/image, ...
removing device file /tmp/ram2
cpio expansion failed on file (null),error 3

The floppy looks ok; I can read it on my desktop box, and the directory
structure of the cpio looks ok.  The floppy is an external, and I've heard
that there are wierd problems with thinkpad floppy drives.  I tried
passing floppy=thinkpad to the install kernel via 'linux floppy=thinkpad' but
it gave me a warning while booting that it didn't recognize my heplful hint :\

If anyone can offer assistance on this, I'd be very grateful.

                                Thanks,
                                -Clint

2. FreeBSD, APIC, and PCI IRQ sharing

3. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

4. Single User Mode + Headless + Secure Level = 2 + schg flags

5. APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

6. OS/2 vs. Unix

7. thinkpad 560 - problem with SCSI PCMCIA

8. NIS help needed

9. Weird ThinkPad 560 screen scrolling problem

10. IBM ThinkPad 560 problem with startx

11. Suspend/hibernate problem with Thinkpad 560

12. Thinkpad 560 / PCMCIA Cdrom problem

13. Problems installing Slackware96 on IBM Thinkpad 560