Help With Network Card... Please?

Post by sc.. » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hey gang --

        I just installed FreeBSD on an Intel machine for the first time. This
is turning out to be the most frustrating thing I have ever done in my
life... Except trying to use Windoze, of course :).
        Heres the deal... The system is up and running quite well.  The problem
is that my network card is not working.  It's a 3com 3c509 ISA card.
There appears to be kernel support.  I have recompiled my kernel some 40
times trying to get this right.  I have come to the conclusion that the
device that I want to use for this card is fe0.  There is no fe0 device
in /dev/  /dev/./MAKEDEV will not let me add the fe0 device.
Heck, it wont let me create anything...  I'm lost at this point.  I've
read as much as I can possibly read on the freebsd web site and have
found nothing useful.
        I know the card is functional -- It was working last week, in the same
machine, with Linux...
        Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?
I'm open to any suggestions...

        Thanks!

        Scott C.

Post by Tony Voe » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>      Heres the deal... The system is up and running quite well.  The problem
> is that my network card is not working.  It's a 3com 3c509 ISA card.
> There appears to be kernel support.  I have recompiled my kernel some 40
> times trying to get this right.  I have come to the conclusion that the
> device that I want to use for this card is fe0.  There is no fe0 device
> in /dev/  /dev/./MAKEDEV will not let me add the fe0 device.

From /sys/i386/conf/LINT:

# ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)
device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10

# fe: Fujitsu MB86960A/MB86965A Ethernet
device fe0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq ?

You might be better off using ep0 instead of fe0...

tv

Post by Kenneth Furg » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>         Heres the deal... The system is up and running quite well.  The problem
> is that my network card is not working.  It's a 3com 3c509 ISA card.
> There appears to be kernel support.  I have recompiled my kernel some 40
> times trying to get this right.  I have come to the conclusion that the
> device that I want to use for this card is fe0.  There is no fe0 device
> in /dev/  /dev/./MAKEDEV will not let me add the fe0 device.
> Heck, it wont let me create anything...  I'm lost at this point.  I've
> read as much as I can possibly read on the freebsd web site and have
> found nothing useful.

Network cards don't get /dev entries.  Look for it being properly probed while
booting or review the output of the 'dmesg' command.  Also, use "ifconfig -a"
to view your network adapters.  Lastly, I think the 3c509 driver is the 'ep'
device.

- K.C.

Help With Network Card... Please?

Post by Mike Andre » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

:>
[...]

Kenneth is right on all counts.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin since 1964

1. networking card help!!!!! please?

Someone sold me a POS DX2/66 and included a ehternet card that I have no
idea what it is -- neither does he (yeaaaaah third hand computing!!!).
It's from 3com, it has coax and another 15 pin port no rs-whatever port
(I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.) and is really huge. Can
someone identify this card? does it work with Linux? It's super long and

2. How do I get host address for user on pts's ???

3. network card help please

4. How get Ethernet address?

5. PLease help, Problems with network card adn net install of RH5.2

6. Xfree 1.2 Link Kit

7. network card help please

8. Trident video card problems

9. Please help install network card in RedHat 7.2

10. Network Card, help me please :)

11. Please help with Accton EN1207D-TX Network Card

12. Please help me set up mt Bocalan2000 networking card under RH 5.0 or 5.1

13. Firewall setup and two network cards PLEASE HELP