Newbie PHP configure error question

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 03:01:19



Here I am again... I hope I don't get on anyone's
nervers with my stupid questions..:)

Im trying to install MySQL/PHP/Apache.
I follow the basic instruction from the
MySQL/PHP Database Applications book
by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger.

Here' what the book says:

..go back to the Apache directory and return the
configure command:

./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

Note that the libphp4.a will not yet exist. It will be
created after compiling is completed.

And this is what I did and got in return:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
configure: error: Module source already has to be below
/src/modules/ to be activated.

To me this looks like a contradiction, am I reading this
wrong?

I unpacked the source archives in /usr/downloads

What is going wrong? Am I working from the the wrong
place or something? Thanks for any help,

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Captain Underpant » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 05:04:39



>Here I am again... I hope I don't get on anyone's
>nervers with my stupid questions..:)

>Im trying to install MySQL/PHP/Apache.
>I follow the basic instruction from the
>MySQL/PHP Database Applications book
>by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger.

>Here' what the book says:

>..go back to the Apache directory and return the
>configure command:

>./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>Note that the libphp4.a will not yet exist. It will be
>created after compiling is completed.

>And this is what I did and got in return:

>./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
>+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
>configure: error: Module source already has to be below
>/src/modules/ to be activated.

>To me this looks like a contradiction, am I reading this
>wrong?

>I unpacked the source archives in /usr/downloads

>What is going wrong? Am I working from the the wrong
>place or something? Thanks for any help,

>Steven

Steven:

Check to see if src/modules/php4/libphp4.a exists,  just a thought but
it sounds as if it didn't get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 05:34:29




>>Here I am again... I hope I don't get on anyone's
>>nervers with my stupid questions..:)

>>Im trying to install MySQL/PHP/Apache.
>>I follow the basic instruction from the
>>MySQL/PHP Database Applications book
>>by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger.

>>Here' what the book says:

>>..go back to the Apache directory and return the
>>configure command:

>>./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>Note that the libphp4.a will not yet exist. It will be
>>created after compiling is completed.

>>And this is what I did and got in return:

>>./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
>>+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
>>configure: error: Module source already has to be below
>>/src/modules/ to be activated.

>>To me this looks like a contradiction, am I reading this
>>wrong?

>>I unpacked the source archives in /usr/downloads

>>What is going wrong? Am I working from the the wrong
>>place or something? Thanks for any help,

>>Steven

> Steven:

> Check to see if src/modules/php4/libphp4.a exists,  just a thought but
> it sounds as if it didn't get there.

The note from the book I quoted above says it doesn't exist until
after compilation...

I checked, there is no src directory in the root. usr/src only contains
a sys directory..

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Captain Underpant » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:10:48





>>>Here I am again... I hope I don't get on anyone's
>>>nervers with my stupid questions..:)

>>>Im trying to install MySQL/PHP/Apache.
>>>I follow the basic instruction from the
>>>MySQL/PHP Database Applications book
>>>by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger.

>>>Here' what the book says:

>>>..go back to the Apache directory and return the
>>>configure command:

>>>./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
>>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>>Note that the libphp4.a will not yet exist. It will be
>>>created after compiling is completed.

>>>And this is what I did and got in return:

>>>./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>>Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
>>>+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
>>>configure: error: Module source already has to be below
>>>/src/modules/ to be activated.

>>>To me this looks like a contradiction, am I reading this
>>>wrong?

>>>I unpacked the source archives in /usr/downloads

>>>What is going wrong? Am I working from the the wrong
>>>place or something? Thanks for any help,

>>>Steven

>> Steven:

>> Check to see if src/modules/php4/libphp4.a exists,  just a thought but
>> it sounds as if it didn't get there.

>The note from the book I quoted above says it doesn't exist until
>after compilation...

>I checked, there is no src directory in the root. usr/src only contains
>a sys directory..

>Steven

OK OK I don't claim to be an expert, but, I've done this install many
times and it's never failed.  Get the latest sources (Apache 1.3.23
and  php-4.1.1). Follow the instructions in the INSTALL file under
QUICK INSTALL (Static) that comes with the PHP source.

They do really work. No reallly!  Basically it's run configure in the
apache directory, run configure , make and make install in the php
directory and then go back and rerun configure in the apache directory
then make and make install and VIOLA!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 02:43:59






>>>>Here I am again... I hope I don't get on anyone's
>>>>nervers with my stupid questions..:)

>>>>Im trying to install MySQL/PHP/Apache.
>>>>I follow the basic instruction from the
>>>>MySQL/PHP Database Applications book
>>>>by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger.

>>>>Here' what the book says:

>>>>..go back to the Apache directory and return the
>>>>configure command:

>>>>./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
>>>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>>>Note that the libphp4.a will not yet exist. It will be
>>>>created after compiling is completed.

>>>>And this is what I did and got in return:

>>>>./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>>>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>>>Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
>>>>+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
>>>>configure: error: Module source already has to be below
>>>>/src/modules/ to be activated.

>>>>To me this looks like a contradiction, am I reading this
>>>>wrong?

>>>>I unpacked the source archives in /usr/downloads

>>>>What is going wrong? Am I working from the the wrong
>>>>place or something? Thanks for any help,

>>>>Steven

>>>Steven:

>>>Check to see if src/modules/php4/libphp4.a exists,  just a thought but
>>>it sounds as if it didn't get there.

>>The note from the book I quoted above says it doesn't exist until
>>after compilation...

>>I checked, there is no src directory in the root. usr/src only contains
>>a sys directory..

> OK OK I don't claim to be an expert, but, I've done this install many
> times and it's never failed.  Get the latest sources (Apache 1.3.23
> and  php-4.1.1). Follow the instructions in the INSTALL file under
> QUICK INSTALL (Static) that comes with the PHP source.

> They do really work. No reallly!  Basically it's run configure in the
> apache directory, run configure , make and make install in the php
> directory and then go back and rerun configure in the apache directory
> then make and make install and VIOLA!

Maybe something went wrong when I installed PHP... Is there a way to
remove everything I installed so far, PHP and maybe mySQL, and start
over? I think PHP may have installed itself as a CGI binary...?

These are the commands I used in my attempt:

cd usr/downloads/mysql-3.23.49
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
make install

cd ../apache_1.3.23
pwd
usr/downloads/apache_1.3.23
./configure --prefix=/usr/local

cd ../php-4.1.1
pwd
usr/downloads/php-4.1.1
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local \
--enable-trans-id --enable-track-vars

Also, when I specify a path to where things should be installed like
'usr/local' does the install proces create a n 'apache' directory in the
'local' directory or should I create and/or specify this explicitly?

Thanks,

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Captain Underpant » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 11:07:17







>>>>>Here I am again... I hope I don't get on anyone's
>>>>>nervers with my stupid questions..:)

>>>>>Im trying to install MySQL/PHP/Apache.
>>>>>I follow the basic instruction from the
>>>>>MySQL/PHP Database Applications book
>>>>>by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger.

>>>>>Here' what the book says:

>>>>>..go back to the Apache directory and return the
>>>>>configure command:

>>>>>./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache
>>>>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>>>>Note that the libphp4.a will not yet exist. It will be
>>>>>created after compiling is completed.

>>>>>And this is what I did and got in return:

>>>>>./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>>>>>--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>>>>>Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.23
>>>>>+ using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
>>>>>configure: error: Module source already has to be below
>>>>>/src/modules/ to be activated.

>>>>>To me this looks like a contradiction, am I reading this
>>>>>wrong?

>>>>>I unpacked the source archives in /usr/downloads

>>>>>What is going wrong? Am I working from the the wrong
>>>>>place or something? Thanks for any help,

>>>>>Steven

>>>>Steven:

>>>>Check to see if src/modules/php4/libphp4.a exists,  just a thought but
>>>>it sounds as if it didn't get there.

>>>The note from the book I quoted above says it doesn't exist until
>>>after compilation...

>>>I checked, there is no src directory in the root. usr/src only contains
>>>a sys directory..

>> OK OK I don't claim to be an expert, but, I've done this install many
>> times and it's never failed.  Get the latest sources (Apache 1.3.23
>> and  php-4.1.1). Follow the instructions in the INSTALL file under
>> QUICK INSTALL (Static) that comes with the PHP source.

>> They do really work. No reallly!  Basically it's run configure in the
>> apache directory, run configure , make and make install in the php
>> directory and then go back and rerun configure in the apache directory
>> then make and make install and VIOLA!

>Maybe something went wrong when I installed PHP... Is there a way to
>remove everything I installed so far, PHP and maybe mySQL, and start
>over? I think PHP may have installed itself as a CGI binary...?

>These are the commands I used in my attempt:

>cd usr/downloads/mysql-3.23.49
>./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>make
>make install

>cd ../apache_1.3.23
>pwd
>usr/downloads/apache_1.3.23
>./configure --prefix=/usr/local

>cd ../php-4.1.1
>pwd
>usr/downloads/php-4.1.1
>./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local \
>--enable-trans-id --enable-track-vars

>Also, when I specify a path to where things should be installed like
>'usr/local' does the install proces create a n 'apache' directory in the
>'local' directory or should I create and/or specify this explicitly?

>Thanks,

>Steven

In the above you  said..
<snip>
cd ../php-4.1.1
pwd
usr/downloads/php-4.1.1
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local \
--enable-trans-id --enable-track-vars
<snip>
I hope you also had
 --with-apache=../apache_1.3.23

As for the apache install, no.  To keep it neat I do this:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/www \
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

That way everything for apache is under www which is created when you
do the make install.

Cheers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:42:58


 > In the above you  said..
 > <snip>
 > cd ../php-4.1.1
 > pwd
 > usr/downloads/php-4.1.1
 > ./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local \
 > --enable-trans-id --enable-track-vars
 > <snip>
 > I hope you also had
 >  --with-apache=../apache_1.3.23

Sorry, I have to stirr this up again. Whenever I have a little time I dive
into the options puzzle and try to make some sense of the installation
instructions from different sources.. All I end up with are questions..:(

The book I mentioned doesn't have this option in the PHP configuration..
It describes the installation of MySQL, PHP and Apache.
In that order. It tells me to do ./configure prefix=/path/to/apache from
the apache source directory before configuring, compiling and installing
PHP. And after installing PHP it tells me to ./configure apache again with
this and other options and do 'make' and 'make install' for Apache.
The PHP configure doesn't have the -with apache option.
Is this a mistake in the book or is this just another way of doing it?

The book also doesn't mention the first steps of the installation overview
from the MySQL manual:

groupadd mysql
useradd -g mysql mysql

Are these optional? Or is this another mistake? What is the equivalent of
'useradd -g' on FreeBSD?

pw groupadd mysql
pw groupmod mysql -M mysql ?

The latter returns a warning that the user doesn't exist..
Should I add a new user with all the options, password, shell and such?

Thanks for any help

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Captain Underpant » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 16:36:16




> > In the above you  said..
> > <snip>
> > cd ../php-4.1.1
> > pwd
> > usr/downloads/php-4.1.1
> > ./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local \
> > --enable-trans-id --enable-track-vars
> > <snip>
> > I hope you also had
> >  --with-apache=../apache_1.3.23

>Sorry, I have to stirr this up again. Whenever I have a little time I dive
>into the options puzzle and try to make some sense of the installation
>instructions from different sources.. All I end up with are questions..:(

>The book I mentioned doesn't have this option in the PHP configuration..
>It describes the installation of MySQL, PHP and Apache.
>In that order. It tells me to do ./configure prefix=/path/to/apache from
>the apache source directory before configuring, compiling and installing
>PHP. And after installing PHP it tells me to ./configure apache again with
>this and other options and do 'make' and 'make install' for Apache.
>The PHP configure doesn't have the -with apache option.
>Is this a mistake in the book or is this just another way of doing it?

>The book also doesn't mention the first steps of the installation overview
>from the MySQL manual:

>groupadd mysql
>useradd -g mysql mysql

>Are these optional? Or is this another mistake? What is the equivalent of
>'useradd -g' on FreeBSD?

>pw groupadd mysql
>pw groupmod mysql -M mysql ?

>The latter returns a warning that the user doesn't exist..
>Should I add a new user with all the options, password, shell and such?

>Thanks for any help

>Steven

Steven:

Well,  I don't know too much about the install of MySQL.  I use it, I
install from the port and use whatever is the default there unless I
think the databases are going to be huge in which case I alter the
Makefile to change the location of the data files.  As for the PHP and
Apache, I follow the instructions from the file INSTALL that comes
with the PHP source.  It works.  Really.  Having not read this book
you refer to I can't say anything about it.

My advice to you if you want to get this working first and then figure
out why later (that's always been my way as usually I'm under time
pressure to get the (**^&$&^% thing working) is to do the following:

1) step away from the book
2) Assuming you have the ports tree on the machine, install the port
for the MySQL server (cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server and then
make all install)
3) Once that is done, go to the directory where you have un-tarred the
apache source. (/usr/downloads/apache_1.3.23 ?)
4) run ./configure (don't worry about any extra command line
parameters yet as you will be doing this again)
5) go to the directory where you have un-tarred the php source
(/usr/downloads/php-4.1.1 ?)
6) do this: ./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.23 \
--enable-track-vars
7) then do this: make
8) then: make install
9) Now go back the the apache directory and run ./configure again but
this time do this:
./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
 *** If /www does not exist it will be created.  If you want the
server,etc installed elsewhere then change the /www to point there.
10)then run make and make install.

VIOLA, you are almost done.  Don't forget to have a working php.ini in
/usr/local/lib and also alter your httpd.conf file to have the line

 AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

in it.  Now you are done. Start the web server up after making any
other changes to the conf file(s) that are necesary.  Note that the
above instructions are taken almost verbatum from the INSTALL file
that comes with the PHP source

As an aside, for administering MySQL I would recommend phpMyAdmin
which is at http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/.  I use it
and if a monkey like me can use it then you know it's easy.

Now you know pretty much all I know about it.

CHeers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:21:40


Thanks for puttin up with this install saga so far...

Quote:> My advice to you if you want to get this working first and then figure
> out why later (that's always been my way as usually I'm under time
> pressure to get the (**^&$&^% thing working) is to do the following:

> 1) step away from the book
> 2) Assuming you have the ports tree on the machine, install the port
> for the MySQL server (cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server and then
> make all install)
> 3) Once that is done, go to the directory where you have un-tarred the
> apache source. (/usr/downloads/apache_1.3.23 ?)
> 4) run ./configure (don't worry about any extra command line
> parameters yet as you will be doing this again)
> 5) go to the directory where you have un-tarred the php source
> (/usr/downloads/php-4.1.1 ?)
> 6) do this: ./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.23 \
> --enable-track-vars
> 7) then do this: make
> 8) then: make install
> 9) Now go back the the apache directory and run ./configure again but
> this time do this:
> ./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

OK, tonight I installed MySQL and PHP as described above.
At the end of the Apache configuration in step 9 I get a type 1 error.
It can't find the php4.ini.a file. The usr/src directory is empty..

I installed from the usr/local/source/php-4.1.2 and
usr/local/source/apache_1.3.23 directories.
For apache I used --prefix=/usr/local/www.
What could be wrong? TIA,

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Captain Underpant » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 05:51:14




>Thanks for puttin up with this install saga so far...

>> My advice to you if you want to get this working first and then figure
>> out why later (that's always been my way as usually I'm under time
>> pressure to get the (**^&$&^% thing working) is to do the following:

>> 1) step away from the book
>> 2) Assuming you have the ports tree on the machine, install the port
>> for the MySQL server (cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server and then
>> make all install)
>> 3) Once that is done, go to the directory where you have un-tarred the
>> apache source. (/usr/downloads/apache_1.3.23 ?)
>> 4) run ./configure (don't worry about any extra command line
>> parameters yet as you will be doing this again)
>> 5) go to the directory where you have un-tarred the php source
>> (/usr/downloads/php-4.1.1 ?)
>> 6) do this: ./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.23 \
>> --enable-track-vars
>> 7) then do this: make
>> 8) then: make install
>> 9) Now go back the the apache directory and run ./configure again but
>> this time do this:
>> ./configure --prefix=/www --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a

>OK, tonight I installed MySQL and PHP as described above.
>At the end of the Apache configuration in step 9 I get a type 1 error.
>It can't find the php4.ini.a file. The usr/src directory is empty..

>I installed from the usr/local/source/php-4.1.2 and
>usr/local/source/apache_1.3.23 directories.
>For apache I used --prefix=/usr/local/www.
>What could be wrong? TIA,

>Steven

Steven:

Just so I'd be up-to-date and be sure that I wasn't missing anything
I did the install just now on my own 4.5 box.  Sorry to say it went
off without a hitch!  Grasping at straws here but you do the install
as root, yes?  Don't know if that makes a difference.  other than that
I've got nothin'  Maybe cut 'n paste the exact error message you get
and that may shed some light onthe situation.

Good Luck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:49:06



> Steven:

> Just so I'd be up-to-date and be sure that I wasn't missing anything
> I did the install just now on my own 4.5 box.  Sorry to say it went
> off without a hitch!  Grasping at straws here but you do the install
> as root, yes?  Don't know if that makes a difference.  other than that
> I've got nothin'  Maybe cut 'n paste the exact error message you get
> and that may shed some light onthe situation.

OK, I have finaly installed and as far as i can see it works.
I reinstalled everything from scratch including FreeBSD (using slightly
larger partitions). Thanks for putting up with me so far.

Two more questions...

I can't seem to ftp from my Mac to the FreeBSD system. Before I
reinstalled everything this was no problem. I can telnet with this
login and pass but I have no permission to FTP with the same login
and pass. I have uncommented the Telnet and FTP lines in inetd.conf.
Any idea what this could be?

I can't find the 'working php.ini' you mentioned in usr/local/lib. Should
I look elsewhere or copy it from somewhere?

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Captain Underpant » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:27:19




>> Steven:

>> Just so I'd be up-to-date and be sure that I wasn't missing anything
>> I did the install just now on my own 4.5 box.  Sorry to say it went
>> off without a hitch!  Grasping at straws here but you do the install
>> as root, yes?  Don't know if that makes a difference.  other than that
>> I've got nothin'  Maybe cut 'n paste the exact error message you get
>> and that may shed some light onthe situation.

>OK, I have finaly installed and as far as i can see it works.
>I reinstalled everything from scratch including FreeBSD (using slightly
>larger partitions). Thanks for putting up with me so far.

>Two more questions...

>I can't seem to ftp from my Mac to the FreeBSD system. Before I
>reinstalled everything this was no problem. I can telnet with this
>login and pass but I have no permission to FTP with the same login
>and pass. I have uncommented the Telnet and FTP lines in inetd.conf.
>Any idea what this could be?

>I can't find the 'working php.ini' you mentioned in usr/local/lib. Should
>I look elsewhere or copy it from somewhere?

>Steven

you would get the "working php.ini" by

$ cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini

from the php-4.1.2 directory.

As for the other, I dunno.  After you "uncommented" the lines you
restarted the inetd process, right?  If not, do

ps -x | grep inetd

to get the process ID # then

kill -HUP "process ID #"

to force the process to reload it's config.

Good Luck ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:43:19




>>OK, I have finaly installed and as far as i can see it works.
>>I reinstalled everything from scratch including FreeBSD (using slightly
>>larger partitions). Thanks for putting up with me so far.

>>Two more questions...

>>I can't seem to ftp from my Mac to the FreeBSD system. Before I
>>reinstalled everything this was no problem. I can telnet with this
>>login and pass but I have no permission to FTP with the same login
>>and pass. I have uncommented the Telnet and FTP lines in inetd.conf.
>>Any idea what this could be?

>>I can't find the 'working php.ini' you mentioned in usr/local/lib. Should
>>I look elsewhere or copy it from somewhere?

---8<---

Quote:> After you "uncommented" the lines you
> restarted the inetd process, right?  

Yes I did. I suspect it is not a matter of  ftp not working but rather
something with the user and his permissions. Hope someone else
has an idea...

Steven

--

 
 
 

Newbie PHP configure error question

Post by Steve » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:09:29





>>> OK, I have finaly installed and as far as i can see it works.
>>> I reinstalled everything from scratch including FreeBSD (using slightly
>>> larger partitions). Thanks for putting up with me so far.

>>> Two more questions...

>>> I can't seem to ftp from my Mac to the FreeBSD system. Before I
>>> reinstalled everything this was no problem. I can telnet with this
>>> login and pass but I have no permission to FTP with the same login
>>> and pass. I have uncommented the Telnet and FTP lines in inetd.conf.
>>> Any idea what this could be?

>>> I can't find the 'working php.ini' you mentioned in usr/local/lib. Should
>>> I look elsewhere or copy it from somewhere?

> ---8<---

>> After you "uncommented" the lines you
>> restarted the inetd process, right?  

> Yes I did. I suspect it is not a matter of  ftp not working but rather
> something with the user and his permissions. Hope someone else
> has an idea...

Solved it! The shell of this user was not in etc/shells.

Steven

--

 
 
 

1. Newbie: Problem configuring Apache for PHP in 4.0 Stable

From /stand/sysinstall it looks as though PHP3 has been installed
along with Apache (i.e. the Apache+PHP ports have an X next to them
already).

Usually, I run Apache by doing /usr/sbin/httpd, but this doesn't allow
my First PHP page to be recognized, either when it's located in
/usr/local/www/data or in /usr/local/share/apache/htdocs/.  All I see
is a blank page.  If I try to do
# apachectl start (from which directory should I do it?) I get a
program not found error.

What do you think I need to do to get up and running with PHP?

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

Tony.

2. How to watch VCD?

3. weird php error when using php-mysql-4.2.3 from ports

4. Virtual/Software UART?

5. PHP "make" error with php-4.0.1pl2 and slackware

6. mmap() still causing problems

7. Apache w/ PHP and SSL: w/ PHP OK - w/out PHP NOK

8. Screen based development software

9. newbie question about apache and php

10. PHP / CGI setup - newbie question

11. Newbie questions - php & apache - http/dns cache

12. Newbie Linux PHP MySQL Question