How do you change user name and all file ownership accordingly?

How do you change user name and all file ownership accordingly?

Post by vector sigm » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi, just wondering, I am tired of my regular login name and I want to
change it. But I do not want ot have to do "rmuser foo" or manually
change all the files owned under the previous user name. Is there an
easy way?

Thanks for any suggestions.

How do you change user name and all file ownership accordingly?

Post by Richard Cale » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

vs> Hi, just wondering, I am tired of my regular login name and I want to
vs> change it. But I do not want ot have to do "rmuser foo" or manually
vs> change all the files owned under the previous user name. Is there an
vs> easy way?

edit the password file with

        $ vipw

(if you don't like vi, set the EDITOR environemnt variable to your
favorite editor first)

you can change the login name, but leave the number alone. Since the
fielsystem uses the numerb and not the name to record who owns what,
you will still own your files.

There will no doubt be a whole load of small things throughout the
system which will remember you as who you were. Mail is one to check

A more conservatiev thing might be to create a completely new user
with adduser, then use vip to change it's number ot that of the old
user, and delete the line for the old user.

After that you will own all your files and will just need to move
things from your old home directory to your new one.

--

                                                 |<

How do you change user name and all file ownership accordingly?

Post by vector sigm » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I got thins working now. Thank you.

1. How change the ownership of mounted dos file-system

I am using Linux 1.2.8 on p5-100. I mounted dos partition, but it has only the root ownership, I can not change the mode and ownership of that, How can I change it.

| Hossein Akhlaghpour                                           |
|                                                               |
| Home: 513-251-0910, 1241 Rutledge st, Cincinnati, OH. 45205   |
| Work: 513-556-0546, Dept. of Physics,                         |
|       University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH. 45221         |

2. building SATAN 1.1.1 on LInux

3. user ownership and group ownership

4. rpc libraries

5. change user and group ownership of a child process...

6. fvwm95 problem

7. Script to detect user that is executing and execute commands accordingly

8. Is Star Office just as crash prone as MS Office?

9. How to change a users name (r->connection->user) in a module

10. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

11. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

12. What is the proper ownership, group and permission for the files under /var/named?

13. /var/named/namedb file ownership