syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data

syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data

Post by Larry Snyde » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I've installed the latest release of FreeBSD 2.5 and am having problems
with syslogd not logging data from the router (Zyxel Prestige 128).
Bringing up syslogd in the debug mode will show that the router is
indeed sending the data to syslogd, however the data is not being
written to a file.

Any ideas on what I need to do under FreeBSD?

syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data

Post by shado » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[newsgroups trimmed a little]

>I've installed the latest release of FreeBSD 2.5 and am having problems
>with syslogd not logging data from the router (Zyxel Prestige 128).
>Bringing up syslogd in the debug mode will show that the router is
>indeed sending the data to syslogd, however the data is not being
>written to a file.

>Any ideas on what I need to do under FreeBSD?

Was syslogd started up with the -s option? Secure mode? If so it wont accept
packets from the net, actually it should'nt bind to the port. So with
tcpdump you should be able to see icmp messages of "UDP port unreachable".

If this is not the problem, double check your syslog.conf make sure you have
a fall through file for debugging like:

*.debug                                         /var/log/debug-fall-through

That should catch it if its a config problem.

--
Thamer Al-Herbish                          <URL http://www.whitefang.com/>
Antispam (real email): shadows(replace.with.at.sign)whitefang.com

syslogd (FreeBSD) not logging routing data

Post by Larry Snyde » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

no, I'm not using the -s option

I tried syslogd -a <ip_address>/<net_mask> and it still will not log

here is a copy of the logging from the router that shows up on
the console with syslogd -d - however, none of this appears in
the /var/log/messages file...  the logging worked just fine with
Linux - however, I would rather use FreeBSD

got a message (1, 0x10)
cvthname(192.190.76.254)
logmsg: pri 216, flags 0, from gw, msg ZyXEL: line 1 channel 1, call 35,
C01, O
readfds = 0x38
got a message (1, 0x10)
cvthname(192.190.76.254)
logmsg: pri 216, flags 0, from gw, msg ZyXEL: line 1 channel 1, call 35,
C02, O
readfds = 0x38

> Using syslogd in the debug mode (ie: syslogd -d) I can see that
> indeed the information is getting from the router to the host,
> however it is not being logged to a file.

Well, check the connection matrix in -d mode, and see why it doesn't
get logged.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Paul Newhous » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've installed the latest release of FreeBSD 2.5 and am having problems
> with syslogd not logging data from the router (Zyxel Prestige 128).
> Bringing up syslogd in the debug mode will show that the router is
> indeed sending the data to syslogd, however the data is not being
> written to a file.

> Any ideas on what I need to do under FreeBSD?

I'm running NetBSD and I'm using a Pipe75 but, I think this is the line
I added to syslog.conf to get the ascend to log correclty:

   daemon,local2.info          /var/log/messages

I think the ascend logs to loacal2. If you make an entry like:

  *.*           /var/log/messages

and you start getting the messages then you probably haven't activated
the correct catagory of messages.  What does your Zylex manual say
the log messages are sent to?

Good luck,
Paul

1. syslogd does not log ip-packet-logs any more

I wonder, what I did to my system, but it stopped logging a lot of things
about a month ago. Most recognizeable is that there is no logging of
ipchains-logs any more (kind of 'ipchains -A frombad -j DENY -l')

funny thing is, I can still view these logs with dmesg, so this is not a
ipchains-problem.

for testing, I set up a quite simple syslog.conf:

*.*                                                     /var/log/messages

So this should just log all the stuff !! And I didnt change the kernel
since last summer, so this also cannot be the reason ....

peter

--

goldfisch.at

2. Help !! Error in booting RH 6.1 Loading shared libraries

3. syslogd logging data from router

4. An open letter to David Hewson

5. HEADS-UP: syslogd might lose log data

6. Does GAIM support voice and video chat?

7. syslogd is filling my /var/log/messages with data received from the net (through ppp) ???

8. Cirrus Logic 5429w/2MB 48MB Sys

9. syslogd not logging anymore

10. syslogd not logging

11. syslogd not logging problem