differences between 5.x and 4.x FreeBSD branch

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:18:11

>>Have you had your term paper written for you lately?

> You'd never believe how long ago it was that I wrote a term paper.
> Tech docs and published artices yes - even a couple of years of
> writing a newspaper column [as an adjunct to my real work] but no
> term papers in recent memory.

It appears that the OP is looking for someone to do that task for him.

Quote:> I moved to Unix in 1983 - barely 20 years ago - so you can see
> it's been awhile.

I was still using CP/M back then ;-)

Quote:> I suggested just browsing the freebsd site as the poster seemed to
> be fairly new I didn't suggest using the docbooks. [I build all the
> docs on my own system as I find it faster to get them].

The release docs I referenced answered the original question.  Those
detail the subject of this thread.

Quote:> At least I didn't come across as an old-fart :-)

Nothing wrong with being one of those.  It beats feeding maggots.

differences between 5.x and 4.x FreeBSD branch

Post by Nexzu » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:19:37

Does 4 supports multi processor?

Quote:> Hi!

Post by Bill Vermilli » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:27:19

>>>Have you had your term paper written for you lately?
>> You'd never believe how long ago it was that I wrote a term paper.
>> Tech docs and published artices yes - even a couple of years of
>> writing a newspaper column [as an adjunct to my real work] but no
>> term papers in recent memory.
>It appears that the OP is looking for someone to do that task for him.
>> I moved to Unix in 1983 - barely 20 years ago - so you can see
>> it's been awhile.
>I was still using CP/M back then ;-)

That was about the time CP/M went to 3.0.  I never felt comfortable
with that - liked the 2.2 version better - but I was still using
other things then too.  I remember the first time I tried to expand
memory on a CP/M system by adding a 16K board to the 4K [or it may
have been getting to 32K from 16] and I read the docs, tried,
re-read the docs, tried-again.

Having to configure the system to match the memory and the
aracane instructions [at least it seemed to me that way at the
time] made the Unix documentation look like a good novel by
comparison. Once you can read and at least partially understand
the docs and man pages everything becomes relatively easy.

Quote:>> I suggested just browsing the freebsd site as the poster seemed to
>> be fairly new I didn't suggest using the docbooks. [I build all the
>> docs on my own system as I find it faster to get them].
>The release docs I referenced answered the original question.  Those
>detail the subject of this thread.

I only commented because the link you posted referenced the release
notes only.   I found that in addition to those the overview in
announcments and the early-adopters fleshed things out much better.

Quote:>> At least I didn't come across as an old-fart :-)
>Nothing wrong with being one of those.  It beats feeding maggots.

Totally agree.

--

Post by Erik Nygre » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:41:41

> Does 4 supports multi processor?

Yes. But 5.x will probably do a better job, once the fine grained kernel
locks are in place.
But never the less, 4.x works and works well with multi processor.

--
Erik Nygren
e r i k { a t } s w i p { d o t } n e t

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:13:44

> That was about the time CP/M went to 3.0.  I never felt comfortable
> with that - liked the 2.2 version better - but I was still using
> other things then too.  I remember the first time I tried to expand
> memory on a CP/M system by adding a 16K board to the 4K [or it may
> have been getting to 32K from 16] and I read the docs, tried,
> re-read the docs, tried-again.

I had 8K of EPROM in the upper address space and 56K static RAM filling
the rest of address space, then added several more 64K boards to use the
built-in bank switching.

In '79 I had added an 8" Winchester drive to the system.  I had tried to
run my payroll one Friday at work and a boulder of rock dust got trapped
between the R/W head and floppy media.  It completely removed track 62.
So I went back to manual calculation of pay and withholdings until I could
get storage which was impervious to dust.

Quote:> Having to configure the system to match the memory and the
> aracane instructions [at least it seemed to me that way at the
> time] made the Unix documentation look like a good novel by
> comparison. Once you can read and at least partially understand
> the docs and man pages everything becomes relatively easy.

LOL!  The CP/M documentation was certainly arcane, but the information was
all there.

Quote:> I only commented because the link you posted referenced the release
> notes only.   I found that in addition to those the overview in
> announcments and the early-adopters fleshed things out much better.

I guess I was hoping the OP would get the idea of just reading the
Handbook.  I certainly was not going to reproduce the entire damn thing
for him in Usenet.