Installation step by step for dumbys :)

Post by Nicol » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Thank you for your time.  I am trying to escape windows98 as my main o/s and
want to start using freebsd exclusively.  Unfortunately, I need win98 so I
can play all of those kickass games that come out.  But, as you all know the
tcp/ip stack in win98 sucks and I am tired of my computer crashing all the
time.  I have a cable modem and I would like to start getting the awesome
transfer rates I see from my friends using unix.  Also, since my primary act
of love on the computer is Internet related I think I am really
shortchanging myself by running windows as well as causing me unnecesarry
agravation over the constant crashing.  I am ready to move to the higher
level of computing and stop supporting a greedy company that only gives a
shit about making money and could care less about the end user.

Anyhow, I have backed all of my hard drives up and I am ready to wipe out my
whole computer.  I have all scsi devices and about 18 gigs.
I want to find step by step installation instructions for installing bsd
from scratch.  I have surfed the web and have found an excellent site for
installing and compiling the kernal to your liking at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html, however I need to know how to
install the boot manager afterwards so I can can dual boot win98 and
freebsd.  I heard that you must install win98 first  before installing
freebsd and that win98 should be on c, while the unix install can have its
own dedicated partition with any letter no problem.

Although, I am intimidated and afraid of running unix I would feel a great
sense of accomplishment and enjoy my computer use much more with the use of
unix.

From my understanding, the support you receive should be by reading the man
pages and so I am not trying to get babied in anyway.  I want to tell you
that I don't even have it installed to read the man pages and installation
tips I have gotten off the web haven't sufficiently answered the questions I
need.

So if any of you unix gurus could point me in the right direction in terms
of what books to buy and what urls to read I would be very grateful.  I am
especially fond of women who run unix because as I have attended usenix
conventions twice in Anaheim I rarely see women there.  So if there are any
women out there that would like to mentor me, I would really appreciate it.
So maybe when I start kicking ass I can help other girls.  Men can reply as
well.  Any help I get would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time in reading this post.

Respectfully,

Nicole

P.S. the beanies is for beanie babies, I collect them.. :)

Installation step by step for dumbys :)

Post by Jim Week » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi Nicole,

I strongly recommend the book sold by Walnut Creek
http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm  which comes with the 4 CD set
of FreeBsd.  It is an excellent source  of information concerning the
different installation options, and the CDs are much easier that downloading
the files.
--
           Jim Weeks

http://www.siteplus.com

> [...]

>need.

>So if any of you unix gurus could point me in the right direction in terms
>of what books to buy and what urls to read I would be very grateful.  I am
>especially fond of women who run unix because as I have attended usenix
>conventions twice in Anaheim I rarely see women there.  So if there are any
>women out there that would like to mentor me, I would really appreciate it.
>So maybe when I start kicking ass I can help other girls.  Men can reply as
>well.  Any help I get would be most appreciated.

>Thank you so much for your time in reading this post.

>Respectfully,

>Nicole

>P.S. the beanies is for beanie babies, I collect them.. :)

Installation step by step for dumbys :)

Post by Nicol » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Jim,

Thank you for your quick response.  I am going to the local computer show
today and will look for that 4 cd set.  I printed the url and the
description is exactly what I need considering how new I am.  I was going to
download all of the files from ftp because I have a cable modem.  But,
thanks to you I think that I need something more like a cd-rom set with a
book.

Thanks for your time,
Nicole