mfs & /tmp vs /var/tmp

Post by Ian Pallfreem » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Since I'm struggling to get a "make world" in /usr/src to complete without
errors I thought it would be nice to speed up my compiles by building a kernel
with mfs on /tmp. Not a lot happened, then I found P_tmpdir in stdio.h is set
to /var/tmp. Rather defeats the point, I'd say. This is 2.2-CURRENT of Sep 15.

Mind you, it's an incredibly exhilarating feeling watching this poor little
PC sup a new set of fixes down the phone line, rebuild _everything_ from the
sources, install a new kernel and reboot clean as a whistle. Kudos, guys. :-)

Ian.
--
 UNIX sysadmindroid, mail and news hacker, sentenced to a lifetime of slavery.
   Network Unit, Manchester Computing, The University, Manchester, England.

                Look before you leap; he who hesitates is lost.

mfs & /tmp vs /var/tmp

Post by Steven G. Karg » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Since I'm struggling to get a "make world" in /usr/src to complete without
> errors I thought it would be nice to speed up my compiles by building a kernel
> with mfs on /tmp. Not a lot happened, then I found P_tmpdir in stdio.h is set
> to /var/tmp. Rather defeats the point, I'd say. This is 2.2-CURRENT of Sep 15.

First, if you have the memory to create a mfs, then you should be able
to specify
-pipe in the CLFAGS variable contained in /etc/make.conf.  This should
remove the
need for a mfs unless /usr/obj is a symlink pointing to a directory on
the mfs
(which I doubt).

According to my version of stdio.h:

/* System V/ANSI C; this is the wrong way to do this, do *not* use
these. */
#ifndef _ANSI_SOURCE
#define P_tmpdir        "/var/tmp/"
#endif

I doubt this is your problem.  You might try setting the TMPDIR
environmental
variable to your mfs which gcc will honor; e.g,

setenv TMPDIR /tmp

--
Steve

http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/sgk.html

1. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

:Please help me understand temp directories.  I know what /tmp is for,
:and I know that /var/tmp is like /tmp only it is not normally cleared
:at boot-time.  But then what is /usr/tmp for?  or aren't /usr/tmp and
:/var/tmp usually used in the same implementation?

/usr/tmp and /var aren't normally in the same implementation.

--

 InterNIC WHOIS: MJO | (has my PGP & Geek Code info) | Phone: +1 248-848-4481

2. Unofficial patch file for UPS debugger available.

3. /tmp & /var/tmp sizes?

4. How can I display a standard message with Directory Indexes

5. How to limit the use of /tmp and /var/tmp by arbitrary users

6. Unix (shell) scripts cookbook or compilation wanted

7. Why is there /tmp in addition to /var/tmp.

8. memory/matherboard test software need

9. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?

10. difference between /tmp and /var/tmp?

11. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?

12. /var/tmp -> /tmp (was: Anything wrong with just two disk partitions?)

13. dangers of linking /var/tmp -> /tmp