Why is OpenBSD's locate update beating FreeBSD's locate update speed?

Why is OpenBSD's locate update beating FreeBSD's locate update speed?

Post by to » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:49:29

Has anyone noticed that there is a GIGANTIC speed difference when
OpenBSD or FreeBSD is updating the locate database. The OpenBSD
machine will ALWAYS beat the freebsd machine.  At*I thought it
was because of the hard drive size, but I have 60 GB of data on a
OpenBSD box which took a few minutes to update.  My FreeBSD box has
about 9 GB of data which takes at least 10 minutes. Both machine
Athlons with 7200 RPM hard drives.  Why does OpenBSD beat
FreeBSD's locate updatedb process and what can I do to replicate the
speed increase on my FreeBSD box also?
By the way, I am running OpenBSD 2.9 release on a 1 ghz athlon with 60
GB HD and the FreeBSD 4.4 release box is a 1.4 athlon with 10 GB HD.
Also I didn't change any default file systems or soft updates, I left
it on the default install settings.

Post by Jason Neuman » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:45:25

> Has anyone noticed that there is a GIGANTIC speed difference when
> OpenBSD or FreeBSD is updating the locate database. The OpenBSD
> machine will ALWAYS beat the freebsd machine.

There are two reasons, one is that softupdates is turned on by default
on OpenBSD-2.9 and must be enabled manually in FreeBSD. Also, the
OpenBSD-2.9 softupdates (ffs) has some performance enhancements that you
will only find if you cvsup FreeBSD to FreeBSD-4.4-STABLE.

HOWTO: Improve your disk performace
http://lantech.geekvenue.net/chucktips/jason/chuck/985044347/index_html

Cheers,

Jason

   http://lantech.geekvenue.net/chucktips
      _                _    _   _
  ___| |__  _   _  ___| | _| |_(_)_ __  ___
 / __| '_ \| | | |/ __| |/ / __| | '_ \/ __|
| (__| | | | |_| | (__|   <| |_| | |_) \__ \
 \___|_| |_|\__,_|\___|_|\_\\__|_| .__/|___/
  n e w b i e   f r i e n d l y  |_|
"It's what being newbie friendly is all about!"
                          - chucktips ubergeek

Post by Magyar Gyere » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:39:42

> Has anyone noticed that there is a GIGANTIC speed difference when
> OpenBSD or FreeBSD is updating the locate database. The OpenBSD
> machine will ALWAYS beat the freebsd machine.  At*I thought it
> was because of the hard drive size, but I have 60 GB of data on a
> OpenBSD box which took a few minutes to update.  My FreeBSD box has
> about 9 GB of data which takes at least 10 minutes. Both machine
> Athlons with 7200 RPM hard drives.  Why does OpenBSD beat
> FreeBSD's locate updatedb process and what can I do to replicate the
> speed increase on my FreeBSD box also?
> By the way, I am running OpenBSD 2.9 release on a 1 ghz athlon with 60
> GB HD and the FreeBSD 4.4 release box is a 1.4 athlon with 10 GB HD.
> Also I didn't change any default file systems or soft updates, I left
> it on the default install settings.

let me add that just because those two drives are 7200RPM , they speed difference can be
quiet big, give us model numbers so I can confirm this.
As an idea the EIDE Seagate barracuda III 7200 RPM drive is so slow that a WD600AB at 5400RPM is
right on its tail as far as speed concerned.

As a pointer www.storagereview.com is a good place to learn about storage tricks.

Mind you the SCSI Seagate Cheetah at 15000RPM / 8MB buffer IS the fastest drive there is, so it
depends on model number as well.

--
S t a b l e + fast + virus free = SuSE Linux Professional with Reiserfs.
Optimized from the src.rpm's.

1. Updating the database for 'locate' chews up my RAM

Probably the ghost in the machine =;-)

...run "top"; and if you're running some version of "X" the you can add the
following to your ~/.fvwmrc (or whatever), ie:

        Exec    "Top"           exec rxvt -T Top -n Top -e top &

... you can add a few option to that line, ie:

 -geometry 93x50
 -font 7x14
--
Regards

...my other signature is illegible...

2. Help with GNUStep

3. updated modprobe can't locate device eth0

4. Samba server

5. OpenBSD v FreeBSD locate db speeds?

6. Trouble running Number Nine's Imagine 2 meg 771 in 16 bpp, gets "snow" & "shimmer"

7. can't locate module char-major-4 after update to Kernel 2.2.1

8. HELP ON PRINTING WITH LJIIIP ON X

9. 2.2.10 modprobe can't locate 'lo'

10. Can't locate API module structure 'auth_anon_module'

11. help: 'modprobe: can't locate module net-pf X'

12. Re "error: modprobe can't locate module 'net-pf-'"

13. -prune regexp for gnu find/locate/updatedb doesn't work - why?