FreeBSD, NAT and MSN Messenger/IRC?

Post by J. de Boe » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:28:49

I've got FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE as gateway. I can receive file transfers
(MSN Messenger/IRC) from outside to inside but i'm unable to send file
transfers from inside to outside...

What do i need to do to make file transfers working?

FreeBSD, NAT and MSN Messenger/IRC?

Post by ramda » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 00:31:00

Hi,

Quote:> I've got FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE as gateway. I can receive file transfers
> (MSN Messenger/IRC) from outside to inside but i'm unable to send file
> transfers from inside to outside...

> What do i need to do to make file transfers working?

The easiest workaround IMHO is using proxy/socks, portmapping is too
complicated on numerous clients behind the gateway and various peer-to-peer
software.

A GNU socks5 server. you can find it here:
http://www.socks.nec.com

NWSL's socks5 on /usr/ports/net/socks5

Configure the socks5 server well to avoid abuse, e.g. open socks abuse.

ramdan.-

Post by Rob MacGrego » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 00:43:02

> A GNU socks5 server. you can find it here:
> http://www.socks.nec.com

> NWSL's socks5 on /usr/ports/net/socks5

> Configure the socks5 server well to avoid abuse, e.g. open socks abuse.

Don't forget dante, which I'm pretty sure is in the ports.  Personally I found
the NEC one to be less than perfectly stable, falling over occasionally.  Dante
however has proven rock solid.

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE) [PGP key ID 0x791E6573]
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

Question intelligently: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

1. IPTables/NAT & MSN Messenger Voice

Hi all,

My WinXP clients are connected to a redhat 7.2 gateway, wich is connected to
the internet through ADSL.
On that gateway i'm using IPTables /NAT and DHCP for my clients.
Now i have the following problem:
When my WinXP Clients use MSN messenger, they are able to chat, but
can't take advantage of the other features of MSN, such as a Voice
conversation.
Maybe there are some mods which i can use to support this. I know that MSN
messenger makes the voice connection between clients through hotmail, and
the ports will be dynamic.

Can anyone help me out here ??

I already checked the conntrack mods, but i can't find anything about MSN
messenger.

2. Vi and ksh

3. MSN messenger behind Firewall+NAT

4. xterm -C or dtterm -C