Couldn't spawn child process - Apache webserver problem on FreeBSD system.

Couldn't spawn child process - Apache webserver problem on FreeBSD system.

Post by SM77 » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

i had the same problem before on servers that were taking an aggregate 30
million hits a day. we did the following: incresed maxusers to 1024, made sure
max child processes in httpd.conf was set to at least 100; make sure the server
is started by calling the daemon with the conf file like
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh" where apache.sh said "/usr/local/sbin/httpd -f
(path to the conf)" instead of "/usr/local/sbin/httpd", make sure the
permissions are correct on the directories and don't use a beta release. I
think that solved the prob as far as I can remember.

1. Apache and 'couldn't spawn child process'

I'm running Apache 1.3.3 under Linux 2.0.35, and everything is working fine,
except every one in a while I get in my log file:

[Fri Feb 26 16:40:31 1999] [error] [client 24.226.98.184] (11)Try again:
couldn't spawn child process: /script.cgi.

If I go back and do the exact same thing, it works.  Happens about 20% of the
time.  I obviously maxed my number of processes because I have a really busy
site with alot of CGI, but I need to know what to change to fix this.

Anyone?

2. PPP modem hangup ?

3. last crashing? (not so important)

4. Why Apache says 'reason: couldn't spawn child process'?

5. Insightful Hints on Linux - short help on start up

6. Apache problem: Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process

7. Which video card better supported in Linux?

8. No such file or directory: couldn't spawn child process: e:/apache/htdocs/test.pl

9. Apache 1.3.3 - "Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

10. Apache couldn't spawn child process

11. Apache: "Couldn't spawn child process" running CGI script

12. "couldn't spawn child process error" on Apache 1.2/IRIX 6.2