ARNET SmartPort Plus R.I.P.

Post by Mach » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 05:16:30

On Wednesday last a client gave me the solemn duty of
decommissioning an RS6000 that used MUMPS on a PC as a
terminal server, among other things.

Twas a truly sad event to reduce such fine equipment,
which cost hundreds of thousands 8 years prior, to flea
market fodder.

They allowed me to keep an ARNET SmartPort Plus ISA card
from the PC. I had high hopes of putting it into a BSD
server, then starting my very own dumb terminal empire
from scratch. A second childhood of sorts.

Alas, google only returns 4 web pages from the entire
world, and they all pertain to the same guy hoping to do
the same as me - use an ARNET SmartPort Plus in a BSD
server.

For a while, Digi's ftp site held out hope, with articles
like "Hints for Programming Digi Ports" at
ftp://ftp.digi.com/techsupport/unix/misc/programming.html
(Digi bought out ARNET.)

Then I stumbled across the final nail in the coffin:

    SmartPort Plus ISA products were
    designed to work in standard PC servers
    manufactured before 1990. There are
    known issues when installing these
    adapters in Pentium 133, Pentium IIs,
    and Pentium IIIs and all later versions.
    Digi cannot guarantee SmartPort Plus
    compatibility nor offer support when
    these adapters are installed in
    Pentium-class servers. Digi offers a range
    of ISA and PCI AccelePort adapters that
    are supported. Contact your Digi sales
    representative for further information or
    visit us on the web at

    http:/www.digi.com.

    Thank you

    ftp://ftp.digi.com/support/legacy/arnet/spplusnote.html

--
Mach

Turning and returning to some secret place to hide.

ARNET SmartPort Plus R.I.P.

Post by bria » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:11:54

feel lucky if your machine boots with the card in it, i had a similiar
card(forget the model #) and if i put it in the card, the machine would
crash on POST)

Quote:> On Wednesday last a client gave me the solemn duty of