/usr/bin/mail won't deliver mail locally!

/usr/bin/mail won't deliver mail locally!

Post by Arlen Fletche » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm running a FreeBSD 2.2.6 system that's giving me fits.

I have a user on the system whose userid is 'jones'.

If I enter '/usr/bin/mail jones', I can enter a subject, body,
and then send the message.  However nothing ever arrives in
/var/mail for jones.  I get no error messages, the postmaster
gets no error messages.  I've triple-checked the permissions
and owners on all the directories and executables I can think
of, and I've compared them with another 2.2.6 system that
works as it should.  The difference between the two systems
is the version of Sendmail - the non-functioning system has
Sendmail 8.9 on it.

BTW, if I run '/usr/libexec/mail.local jones', at least a
minimal message appears for jones in /var/mail (there are
minimal headers, etc in it).

I'm at wits end on this one.  Anyone have a clue what I've
 messed up?

Arlen

/usr/bin/mail won't deliver mail locally!

Post by Ashant » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

add this line to your .mailrc file

set verbose

this should tell you what is  going on.

Quote:> I'm running a FreeBSD 2.2.6 system that's giving me fits.