Utility to summarize interface throughput??

Utility to summarize interface throughput??

Post by Ryan Matteso » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a utility to summarize interface useage? I need to graph
how
much data is going in and going out of dc0/dc1 on my FreeBSD
firewall/gateway.
I want a text based utility if possible.

Thanks,

Ryan

Utility to summarize interface throughput??

Post by Tom Kea » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a utility to summarize interface useage? I need to graph
> how
> much data is going in and going out of dc0/dc1 on my FreeBSD
> firewall/gateway.
> I want a text based utility if possible.

> Thanks,

> Ryan

Hi, Ryan,

I believe  netstat(1)  is the tool you are looking for.
A command line like:
        netstat -I dc0 -w 2
will give you a readout of the general iface status every
2 seconds (until you stop it with an interrupt, like a
Ctrl-C from the keyboard).

The man page for netstat will inform you of the more
intricate options so you may tailor your invocation of
netstat and the data it retrieves, to your specific needs.

Just out of curiosity, i note you mention a desire to graph
the interface i/o --- i'm sorta picturing a tool that
saves the netstat results to a file, extracts the data, arranges
it in a graph-application's, such as gnuplot, input file and
(tells the graph-application to) generate(s) the graph --- am i
on the right track?  Anyhow, it sounds like a very useful tool
and a fun project in mind  :)

cheers,
        tom
--
-- Why not just drop everything and do some gardening?

remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

Utility to summarize interface throughput??

Post by Ryan Matteso » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

That is exactly what I am gonna do.

netstat -I dc0 -b

gave me what I needed.

Thanks,

Ryan

> > Does anyone know of a utility to summarize interface useage? I need to
graph
> > how
> > much data is going in and going out of dc0/dc1 on my FreeBSD
> > firewall/gateway.
> > I want a text based utility if possible.

> > Thanks,

> > Ryan

> Hi, Ryan,

> I believe  netstat(1)  is the tool you are looking for.
> A command line like:
> netstat -I dc0 -w 2
> will give you a readout of the general iface status every
> 2 seconds (until you stop it with an interrupt, like a
> Ctrl-C from the keyboard).

> The man page for netstat will inform you of the more
> intricate options so you may tailor your invocation of
> netstat and the data it retrieves, to your specific needs.

> Just out of curiosity, i note you mention a desire to graph
> the interface i/o --- i'm sorta picturing a tool that
> saves the netstat results to a file, extracts the data, arranges
> it in a graph-application's, such as gnuplot, input file and
> (tells the graph-application to) generate(s) the graph --- am i
> on the right track?  Anyhow, it sounds like a very useful tool
> and a fun project in mind  :)

> cheers,
> tom
> --
> -- Why not just drop everything and do some gardening?

> remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

Utility to summarize interface throughput??

Post by Mike Tancs » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>That is exactly what I am gonna do.

>netstat -I dc0 -b

>gave me what I needed.

If you want a nice graph of it all, see mrtg and rrd in /usr/ports/net

        ---Mike

Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)

1. Summarizing all the CD ROM and interface info?

If ever a HOWTO FAQ or whatever was needed this is it. I hope all the daily
messages on CD ROMS and cards for Linux does not go to waste. Has anyone
grepped the arechives to recover it?  I would like to know what it all
adds up to so that I can make a safe purchase of a CD ROM and sound card.
Don

--
Donald F. Parsons MD, Wadsworth Ctr. Rm C273, NY State Dept of Health, ESP,
PO Box 509, Albany, NY 12201-0509. (518)474-7047 Fax: (518)474-7992

2. put a string to the beginnig of every line...

3. UDP throughput code: much lower than expected throughput

4. Slackware/MCC Interim/TAMU/BSD

5. Two network interface = 200 Mbps throughput?

6. Install tutorial page?

7. UDP throughput tool: unusually low throughput

8. Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

9. Two network interface = 200 Mbps throughput?

10. per interface throughput wanted

11. Check the throughput of network interfaces

12. What's the redhat utility to add network interfaces?

13. Need tcpdump-like utility for PPP interface.