Netscape 4.5b2 on FreeBSD and Linux

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I was looking at the binaries for Netscape 4.5b2 for FreeBSD
and Linux, and I noticed that the FreeBSD were quite a bit
smaller than the Linux binaries (about 40% smaller).

Anyone know why this is so?

--

University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211

Phone (573) 882 4540
Fax   (573) 882 1869

http://math.missouri.edu/~stephen

Post by Oliver Schee » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I was looking at the binaries for Netscape 4.5b2 for FreeBSD
> and Linux, and I noticed that the FreeBSD were quite a bit
> smaller than the Linux binaries (about 40% smaller).

> Anyone know why this is so?

Perhaps one version contains (more) debug code? Do a "file" command on
it and it says if it's stripped or not or whatever.

Oliver

--
Futura Sarajevo 1998: http://www.camelot.de/~os/sarajevo/