Incorrect Super Block

Post by Jesse Rosenberge » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

What does "Incorrect Super Block" mean when I try to mount my floppy
drive...

I am mounting it by typing:
  mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

(I made a directory called /floppy in the root)  is this the right way
of mounting a floppy drive and what does "Incorrect Super Block" mean?

Jesse Rosenberger
Webmaster - Savalas Productions, Inc.
http://www.savalas.com

Incorrect Super Block

Post by Matt Brunel » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> What does "Incorrect Super Block" mean when I try to mount my floppy
> drive...

> I am mounting it by typing:
>   mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

> (I made a directory called /floppy in the root)  is this the right way
> of mounting a floppy drive and what does "Incorrect Super Block" mean?

> Jesse Rosenberger
> Webmaster - Savalas Productions, Inc.
> http://www.savalas.com

You're probably using a dos formatted floppy.  Try using

mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

--Matt

Incorrect Super Block

Post by Michael Josefss » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
>Subject: Incorrect Super Block
>Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 21:51:17 -0800

>What does "Incorrect Super Block" mean when I try to mount my floppy
>drive...
>I am mounting it by typing:
>  mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
>(I made a directory called /floppy in the root)  is this the right way
>of mounting a floppy drive and what does "Incorrect Super Block" mean?

To keep the directory structure clean it is common to make the /floppy
directory in /mnt (ie. /mnt/floppy), but that is really only cosmetic.
What you should do is probably 'mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy'.
While you can have a BSD filesystem on a floppy it is not very practical.

Incorrect super block in this case means that it has not found it - natural
enough since your diskette is most likely in msdos format, and msdos have no
superblock but the FAT structure instead..

Hope this is of some help
/Micke