DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:38:09



I was thinking about getting one of those new DVD read/write drives.
Will they work OK with FreeBSD?

If not, I presume that the read-write CD-ROM drives will work OK.  Will
it work with the disks on which data can be erased?

Sorry for these newbie questions, but I am totally new to this kind of
technology.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

 
 
 

DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:06:13



> I was thinking about getting one of those new DVD read/write drives.
> Will they work OK with FreeBSD?

I haven't tried DVD writers/rewriters yet.  My budget currently doesn't permit
me such luxuries :-(

Quote:> If not, I presume that the read-write CD-ROM drives will work OK.  Will
> it work with the disks on which data can be erased?

I've got a number of Plextor CD-RW drives at home, and they work quite nicely,
the SCSI ones I use with cdrecord, the IDE ones with burncd.  No problems.
Just have to remember to make an ISO filesystem to write to CD, and that you
can't just mount and write.

Quote:> Sorry for these newbie questions, but I am totally new to this kind of
> technology.

You're forgiven :-)

We can't know everything about everything, can we? :-)

 - Philip

--

  Real programmers don't eat muffins.

 
 
 

DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

Post by mic.. » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:50:04



> I was thinking about getting one of those new DVD read/write drives.
> Will they work OK with FreeBSD?
> If not, I presume that the read-write CD-ROM drives will work OK.  Will
> it work with the disks on which data can be erased?
> Sorry for these newbie questions, but I am totally new to this kind of
> technology.

Well if you want to burn DVD's you will need to run the patched version
of cdrecord for dvd's, and since the Pioneer is ATAPI you are screwed,
thanks to the stubborness of those people who are so convinced that
a SCSI layer is not useful. If you just want to read i think that ogle
works well.

--
Michel Talon

 
 
 

DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

Post by TJ » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:07:29




> > I was thinking about getting one of those new DVD read/write drives.
> > Will they work OK with FreeBSD?

> I haven't tried DVD writers/rewriters yet.  My budget currently doesn't permit
> me such luxuries :-(

> > If not, I presume that the read-write CD-ROM drives will work OK.  Will
> > it work with the disks on which data can be erased?

> I've got a number of Plextor CD-RW drives at home, and they work quite nicely,
> the SCSI ones I use with cdrecord, the IDE ones with burncd.  No problems.
> Just have to remember to make an ISO filesystem to write to CD, and that you
> can't just mount and write.

burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 8 -e mode1 file1 file2 file3 file4 mode2 file5 file6
file7 file8 fixate

properly burns a CD.  No native format, it writes it raw to the disk (i think)..
however, of the disk I *DID* do that with, i am BOUND to find a resource to which
I can read the disk.  :)

> > Sorry for these newbie questions, but I am totally new to this kind of
> > technology.

> You're forgiven :-)

> We can't know everything about everything, can we? :-)

>  - Philip

> --

>   Real programmers don't eat muffins.

--
Don't even bother replying to this email address, although it looks valid....
It won't be received.  I read news nightly.  Sorry for the inconvenience.....
 
 
 

DVD-RW/CD-ROM-RW

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:32:02




> > I was thinking about getting one of those new DVD read/write drives.
> > Will they work OK with FreeBSD?

> I haven't tried DVD writers/rewriters yet.  My budget currently doesn't permit
> me such luxuries :-(

> > If not, I presume that the read-write CD-ROM drives will work OK.  Will
> > it work with the disks on which data can be erased?

> I've got a number of Plextor CD-RW drives at home, and they work quite nicely,
> the SCSI ones I use with cdrecord, the IDE ones with burncd.  No problems.
> Just have to remember to make an ISO filesystem to write to CD, and that you
> can't just mount and write.

A friend of mine who has a CD-RW told me that under Windows XP that he
could format the read-write-erase compact disk so that it acted like a
regular disk drive - he could copy files and erase files just as easily
as on his master drive.  Is this a possibility with FreeBSD?

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

 
 
 

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.

2. Backup|archive|sync of ms exchange (imap) 2 linux

3. Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive problems

4. SCSI DAT Drive Problem

5. CD-RW or DVD(+-)RW?

6. Whats the Best STB Card to Buy ?

7. HP CD-Writer CD-R/RW+DVD-ROM (9900ci) works with Linux

8. ARRRRGH!

9. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

10. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

11. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

12. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

13. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)