FreeBSD-STABLE build problem this weekend

FreeBSD-STABLE build problem this weekend

Post by Karl Becke » Tue, 22 May 2001 06:40:06

All,

Hi, I am having problems building FreeBSD from source.  I'm tracking
4.3-STABLE on a weekly basis.  That is to say, every Friday a.m., a cron
deamon runs the following:

/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/src/stable-supfile

The contents of /usr/src/stable-supfile are:

# This file is the configuration file for cvsup
# It points to the MS server
*default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all
ports-all tag=.

I usually peruse the updates and decide (based on the UPDATING file and mail
announcements/ news traffic from the previous week) whether to do an
upgrade.  My last successful build was Saturday, 7 April.  'uname -v'
reports "FreeBSD 4.3-RC #2: Sat Apr  7 19:11:48 EDT 2001

(Of course, names have been changed to protect my innocent machine!)

My update procedure is as follows:
cd /usr/src
make clean
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=MACHINE
reboot  (in single user)
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

Except that this weekend, my "make buildworld" dies with mulitiple (I count
38) declaration errors in /usr/src/usr.sbin/setkey/token.l.

I tried rebooting and cvsup'ing again this morning, and repeating the
procedure with the same result (e.g. died in the same place), which would
tend to suggest it isn't bad hardware.

Anybody out there having similar problems, or (more likely) can identify an
error on my part?

Thanks in advance,
Karl

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 23 May 2001 13:57:30

> All,

> Hi, I am having problems building FreeBSD from source.  I'm tracking
> 4.3-STABLE on a weekly basis.  That is to say, every Friday a.m., a cron
> deamon runs the following:

> /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/src/stable-supfile

> The contents of /usr/src/stable-supfile are:

> # This file is the configuration file for cvsup
> # It points to the MS server
> *default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
> ports-all tag=.

> I usually peruse the updates and decide (based on the UPDATING file and
> mail announcements/ news traffic from the previous week) whether to do an
> upgrade.  My last successful build was Saturday, 7 April.  'uname -v'
> reports "FreeBSD 4.3-RC #2: Sat Apr  7 19:11:48 EDT 2001

> (Of course, names have been changed to protect my innocent machine!)

> My update procedure is as follows:
> cd /usr/src
> make clean
> make buildworld
> make kernel KERNCONF=MACHINE
> reboot  (in single user)
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> reboot

> Except that this weekend, my "make buildworld" dies with mulitiple (I
> count 38) declaration errors in /usr/src/usr.sbin/setkey/token.l.

> I tried rebooting and cvsup'ing again this morning, and repeating the
> procedure with the same result (e.g. died in the same place), which would
> tend to suggest it isn't bad hardware.

> Anybody out there having similar problems, or (more likely) can identify
> an error on my part?

> Thanks in advance,
> Karl

Don't know if make clean does the job or not.  I do a rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
before starting a build.  And it's "make buildkernel KERNCONF=MACHINE" and
then a "make installkernel KERNCONF=MACHINE" before you reboot single.
Then after running mergemaster, you also need to sh /dev/MAKEDEV all.

FreeBSD-STABLE build problem this weekend

Post by Karl Becke » Thu, 24 May 2001 10:25:34

Dave,

Thanks for the response!

Quote:

> Don't know if make clean does the job or not.  I do a rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
> before starting a build.

I got around to re-reading the handbook yesterday and came to the same
conclusion (RTFM!)   BTW, the handbook advises the following commands:

cd /usr/obj
chflags -R noschg *

before blowing away the /usr/obj/usr tree.  It seems that some files may
have the
immutable flag set, and even an "rm -rf" won't get rid of them!

Anyway, "make buildworld" finishes successfully now --(cheers!)

Quote:> And it's "make buildkernel KERNCONF=MACHINE" and
> then a "make installkernel KERNCONF=MACHINE" before you reboot single.
> Then after running mergemaster, you also need to sh /dev/MAKEDEV all.

Hmmm... /usr/src/UPDATING has the following entry:
"20010202:
        The KERNEL variable for buildkernel and installkernel has been
        deprecated in favor of KERNCONF.  make kernel now combines these
        two steps."

I'll do the two-step process just to be on the safe side!

Thanks again,
Karl

Post by mic.. » Thu, 24 May 2001 16:50:36

> Dave,
> Thanks for the response!

>> Don't know if make clean does the job or not.  I do a rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
>> before starting a build.
> I got around to re-reading the handbook yesterday and came to the same
> conclusion (RTFM!)   BTW, the handbook advises the following commands:
> cd /usr/obj
> chflags -R noschg *

This is outdated now. You can do simply rm -rf * in /usr/obj

--
Michel Talon