Strange Keyboard Problems Under X

Post by Daniel C. Burto » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm having very strange problems with my keyboard under XFree86.  In
text-only mode everything works fine.  However, once I start up X, my
right control key only works sporadically.  Sometimes it works
continuously for long periods of time and then suddenly stops, and
other times it works about every third time I press it.

On someone's suggestion, I fired up xkeycaps to see if something was
wrong with my key map, but strangely enough the right control key
always works in xkeycaps even when it isn't working in other
applications.  In xkeycaps, everything looks like it is alright, but
as soon as I try to use anything else, it doesn't work.

I've tried this in netscape, kvt/bash, emacs, and a bunch of other
applications.

I've also set up Linux with X running, and I had the exact same
problem.

I'm using a standard 101 key U.S. keyboard, and this is what my
XF86Config file has in it.  Just to make sure, I've tried typing with
different keyboards (of the same type) connected to my computer and
had the exact same problem.

The computer itself is a Pentium Pro 180, with an IDE hard disk,
CDROM, S3 graphics card, two floppy drives, a Sound Blaster 16 card,
two modems, and an NE/2000-compatible ethernet card.

I would appreciate any help in figuring out what is going on.

1. Happy Hacking keyboard + USB KVM == strange keyboard layout

I've just installed OpenBSD 3.1 on an i386 server.  I'm using a Happy
Hacking keyboard (PS/2) connected via a Belkin KVM that translates the
keyboard and PS/2 mouse signals to USB.  The setup works perfectly, even
during the initial install, with one exception: the '\|' key generates '#~'
(that is, '\' results in '#', and '|' gets '~').  I'm really an OpenBSD
newbie (although the excellent man pages gave me a working bridge/firewall
within hours of installation), and I'm not sure where to start looking for a
solution to this weird little problem.
--
Kirk Strauser

2. Where to find LINUX CD-Rom?

3. strange GNOME keyboard problem

4. How do I talk to the serial ports?

5. File mapping in memory.

6. Strange keyboard problem...

7. KDE/KPPP and IBM-Internet

8. Strange keyboard problem in Enlightenment

9. Strange keyboard layout problem in KDE

10. Strange keyboard problems on Cube w/LinuxPPC 2000 Q4

11. Strange keyboard problem...

12. problems with my keyboard map (strange!)