Setting up Network Audio System (NAS)

Post by Robert Hu » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

        I'm trying to set up NAS (for use with Netscape) and I must
be missing something.
        I created /dev/audio, added the NAS package, and read the
man page.  When I run any of the programs, I get:

au____:  unable to connect to audio server

        Is there another piece of software I need to be running?

        Thanks.

Setting up Network Audio System (NAS)

Post by kient.. » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

NAS for FreeBSD (the one on the 2.1R CD-ROM, at least) has a minor,
but annoying bug in the libraries that prevents it from properly
guessing the default audio server.  Try setting AUDIOSERVER to
``localhost:0'' or even ``tcp/localhost:0'' (This is off the top of my
head; I'm certain I've got the syntax/environment variable wrong,
check the man pages for the correct syntax.)  I've worked out the
one-line patch to the libraries, but keep forgetting to send it to the
appropriate authority.  <sigh>
                                - Tim Kientzle

Post by James Rayna » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>    I'm trying to set up NAS (for use with Netscape) and I must
>be missing something.
>    I created /dev/audio, added the NAS package, and read the
>man page.  When I run any of the programs, I get:

>au____:  unable to connect to audio server

>    Is there another piece of software I need to be running?

The server? :-)

(Just type 'nas' to start it up).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland

http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/

Post by Don Yunisk » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>        I'm trying to set up NAS (for use with Netscape) and I must
>>be missing something.
>>        I created /dev/audio, added the NAS package, and read the
>>man page.  When I run any of the programs, I get:

>>au____:  unable to connect to audio server

>>        Is there another piece of software I need to be running?

>The server? :-)

>(Just type 'nas' to start it up).

Umm, has this changed since 2.1R?   Try `auvoxware -aa &' ??

Post by James Rayna » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>>(Just type 'nas' to start it up).

>Umm, has this changed since 2.1R?   Try `auvoxware -aa &' ??

No it hasn't changed and yes, that was what I meant to type :-)

--

Post by Sarif Koic » Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> >The server? :-)

>> >(Just type 'nas' to start it up).

>> Umm, has this changed since 2.1R?   Try `auvoxware -aa &' ??

        I use 2.1R.
        First run nas server, lets assume it's on localhost with
        au &
        Then au____ should run with option like this:
        au____ -audio localhost:0 .....
        Seem that without this option it can't connect to default
server, which only the one who compile it knew what it is.
        Well that work on my PC.
        Good luck.

Post by Robert Hu » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>   Umm, has this changed since 2.1R?   Try `auvoxware -aa &' ??

        I was informed about auvoxware, but there's no man page -
what does the "-aa" do?

Post by Andreas Koho » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >   Umm, has this changed since 2.1R?   Try `auvoxware -aa &' ??

>    I was informed about auvoxware, but there's no man page -
> what does the "-aa" do?

rabbit:/home/shanee> au --help
use: Au [:<listen port offset>] [option]
 -aa            allow any host to connect
 -pn            partial networking enabled
 -nopn          partial networking disabled [default]

--
Greeting, Andy
                                                    running FreeBSD-current

Setting up Network Audio System (NAS)

Post by Sarif Koic » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>>        I'm trying to set up NAS (for use with Netscape) and I must
>> be missing something.
>>        I created /dev/audio, added the NAS package, and read the
>> man page.  When I run any of the programs, I get:

>> au____:  unable to connect to audio server

>>        Is there another piece of software I need to be running?

>>        Thanks.

        Think I post this before....

1. Build your kernel with
        snd0
        and other soundblaster options ... look LINT
2. Boot your new kernel
        goto /dev
        ./MAKEDEV snd0 should do it.
3. As root pkg_add nas package.
4. Run NAS server with
        au &
5. Now you can do
        au____ -a localhost:0 xxx.au
   Don't forget "-a localhost:0" it tell's how to connect with NAS
   server. Read the manual more carefully.

Just remember if you run the NAS server it will lock your /dev/audio
so you can't not run (use the audio) other program which use
/dev/audio. For example xanim will go silent.

TIPS: I don't think you need NAS to use with Netscape. Xanim will do
almost all movie with sound. And a simple cat xxx.au > /dev/audio will
buzz your speaker. Then a simple sound converter will convert .wav
(etc) to .au format as well.

Hope this help.

ZAI.

1. NAS (Network Audio System) and audio support in general

I'm running FBSD2.1R (2.1.5R may be installed this month if time
allows), and I have a SoundBlaster with all the kernel support and
devices.

Tracker and s3mod play well, as does say from rsynth and I have
installed NAS.  The NAS documentation makes mention of a NAS SERVER
but I have no clue about such a beast.  Is this a piece of NCD
non-free code?  (not to denegrate NCD in any way).  Or am I just
missing something terribly obvious.

Also, what the heck do I use to get sound IN the machine?  Can I just
cat /dev/audio and get stuff?  What format is the stuff?  What about
the other snd devices?  Please tell me where I missed all this in TFM.

Andrew

2. NIS+: user disappeared

3. NAS (Network Audio System) as a kernel module?

4. please help me understand a line code about pci

5. Network Audio System (NAS) on 2.1.5R

6. ISP is dhcp, want to update domain when IP changes

7. Q: NAS and /dev/audio collision ...

8. Linux RH 4.1 + 2.0.29 + inn 1.4unoff4 + shared-active = disaster?

9. NAS and /dev/audio busy!!!!!

10. UPS Multi system shutdown (multi OS network)

11. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

12. How to set up Compaq Deskpro Audio system

13. Network Audio System