FreeBSD as fileserver for WIN/DOS clients

Post by Ondra Koute » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> If I want to use FreeBSD as the fileserver for Microsoft Win/DOS
> Clinets, what software is good, samba? pcnfsd? or...?

> Tks+brgds
> Reed Lai

I would try Samba server.

          This is the end...

Post by Steve Sheld » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>If I want to use FreeBSD as the fileserver for Microsoft Win/DOS
>Clinets, what software is good, samba? pcnfsd? or...?

 Samba works very well.

FreeBSD as fileserver for WIN/DOS clients

Post by Keith Turne » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have used samba at two places I worked, it is really nice.  With Samba no
software needs to be installed on the Windows mahines, all you have to do is
install Samba o the unix machine and configure it.  Its also nice because it
does name resolution for windows machine on a TCP/IP network where router
are involved.  Microsoft's WINS servr will do this, but as far as I know
that only comes with NT server $$$... and NT server cost alot more than
workstation but isn't that different.

If you use nfs, you need to install an NFS client on each windows machine...
I guess that would be good if you had many unix machines and few windows
machine.....

Post by Ted Schundle » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> If I want to use FreeBSD as the fileserver for Microsoft Win/DOS
> Clinets, what software is good, samba? pcnfsd? or...?

  Well, I don't know about DOS, but Samba works great with Win95, than I
*think* it may work with Windows for Worgroups. I had no luck with
PCNFS, though setting up Samba to offer shared access to some
directories was fairly simple to set-up.

(now why isn't there a page on the FreeBSD site of elsewhere that I know
of discussing networking FreeBSD w/ DOS/Win boxes? It certainly is a
popular question)

Post by Kenneth Furg » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I *think* it may work with Windows for Worgroups. I had no luck with

You're right, it does.

- K.C.

1. using FreeBSD as fileserver for DOS system

Hi,,

HAs anyone used FreeBSD to act as a fileserver for a DOS based
computer,,

Does anyone know the setup required on FreeBSD and the software
I need on DOS and also reccommend ways of connecting them together
i.e parrallel port or serial  or network card ?

can anyone help?

thanks Tarkan

2. Linux E-mail/Internet Solution

3. Linux as DOS fileserver? (NFS on DOS?)

4. Modem answers but no login

5. Recommend an NFS client for Win/Dos?

6. 2.3.3 patch and floppy disk in 2.3.3 ? unresolved symbol

7. Reading FreeBSD partition from DOS/Win.

8. Comments or advice before Linux installation

9. DOS client for FreeBSD?

10. FreeBSD & DOS/WIN programs

11. Mounting FreeBSD NFS with Onnet 2.1/Win 95 client

12. Linux box as fileserver to DOS box via parallel?

13. Linux as DOS fileserver