Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

Post by Matthew Jenkin » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Just setting up FreeBSD 4, and I notice a number of differences in the
sendmail config system.  All good, I hope.

Anyway - My problem is a fairly simple one.  I cannot forward mail to my
internal machines.

/etc/mail/virtusertable:

/etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains esb.co.uk

Mail is recieved by the server, but mailq gives me:

                                (Deferred: Name server: euro2.esb.co.uk.:
host name lookup failed)

The DNS is set up okay as far as I can see...

Should the last full stop be there in the deferred message?  If not, where
will it be getting it from?

Help?

Matt

--
You can kill the revolutionary
But you can't kill the revolution!

Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

Post by Matthew Jenkin » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Yes, the machine can resolve the name euro2.esb.co.uk

I have tried setting up MX records to forward to the required machine, but
the email for some reason keeps on being delivered to the gateway machine.

Matt

--
You can kill the revolutionary
But you can't kill the revolution!

: Can your machine resolve the name euro2.esb.co.uk by using the host
command?,
: maybe you're better off using MX records for this kind of thing, i.e.
:
: esb.co.uk IN MX 5 euro2.esb.co.uk.
: esb.co.uk IN MX 10 backup-relay.esb.co.uk.
:
: Failing all these try the sendmail newsgreoup or website.
:

:
[...]

: > --
: > You can kill the revolutionary
: > But you can't kill the revolution!
:
:
:
:
: --
:
:
: Blair Sutton
: Systems Administrator
: Fastnet International
:

Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

Post by Kurt Gra » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Track down how the sendmail daemon is being started on your
machine. It is probably being fed a -q command line argument
such as "sendmail -q1h" which would tell it to queue mail
for 1 hour, and as a result you would see a bunch of deferred
messages "host name lookup failed" in your mailq.

Basically you can change the sendmail startup command to
be something like "sendmail -q10s" to send queud mail every
10 seconds.

You can also manually flush the mail queue (send all waiting email now)
by typing "sendmail -v -q", or check the mailq by typing
"mailq" or "sendmail -bp".

Kurt

> Just setting up FreeBSD 4, and I notice a number of differences in the
> sendmail config system.  All good, I hope.

> Anyway - My problem is a fairly simple one.  I cannot forward mail to
my
> internal machines.

> /etc/mail/virtusertable:

> /etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains esb.co.uk

> Mail is recieved by the server, but mailq gives me:

>                                 (Deferred: Name server:
euro2.esb.co.uk.:
> host name lookup failed)
>                                                         <

Quote:

> The DNS is set up okay as far as I can see...

> Should the last full stop be there in the deferred message?  If not,
where
> will it be getting it from?

> Help?

> Matt

> --
> You can kill the revolutionary
> But you can't kill the revolution!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

Post by Matthew Jenkin » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

No good, sorry.

I Have gone out and bought the 2 relevent unix bibles - "sendmail" and "DNS
and BIND" by O'Reilly, and I can't see _anything_ wrong with my
configuration...

I may be blind tho.

I have taken out the *from the virtuser table...

sendmail -bt gives:

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

Quote:> /mx esb.co.uk

getmxrr(esb.co.uk) returns 1 value(s):
        euro2.esb.co.uk.

/etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains both hostnames, although I have tried it
without the euro2 one and it makes * all difference.

Help?

Matt

--
[...]

: >
: > Just setting up FreeBSD 4, and I notice a number of differences in the
: > sendmail config system.  All good, I hope.
: >
: > Anyway - My problem is a fairly simple one.  I cannot forward mail to
: my
: > internal machines.
: >
: > /etc/mail/virtusertable:
: >

: >
: > /etc/mail/sendmail.cw contains esb.co.uk
: >
: > Mail is recieved by the server, but mailq gives me:
: >

: >                                 (Deferred: Name server:
: euro2.esb.co.uk.:
: > host name lookup failed)
: >                                                         <

: >
: > The DNS is set up okay as far as I can see...
: >
: > Should the last full stop be there in the deferred message?  If not,
: where
: > will it be getting it from?
: >
: > Help?
: >
: > Matt
: >
: > --
: > You can kill the revolutionary
: > But you can't kill the revolution!
: >
: >
:
:
: Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
: Before you buy.
:

Sendmail problems. Please please please please help!

Post by Matthew Jenkin » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Oh, btw... this is some debug output if it helps...

Matt

-----callsubr 96 (96)

-----callsubr Parse0 (199)

-----callsubr 98 (98)

-----callsubr Parse1 (198)

rewrite: ruleset 198 returns: $# local $: matt
rewrite: ruleset   0 returns: $# local $: matt
rewrite: ruleset   2   input: matt
rewrite: ruleset   2 returns: matt
rewrite: ruleset  20   input: matt
rewrite: ruleset  20 returns: matt
rewrite: ruleset   4   input: matt
rewrite: ruleset   4 returns: matt

-----callsubr Local_check_rcpt (186)

-----callsubr Basic_check_rcpt (184)

-----callsubr ParseRecipient (193)

-----callsubr CanonAddr (194)

-----callsubr Parse0 (199)
-----callsubr 3 (3)

-----callsubr 96 (96)

rewrite: ruleset 184 returns: OK
rewrite: ruleset 185 returns: OK
rewrite: ruleset   5   input: matt
rewrite: RHS $&h => ""
rewrite: ruleset   5 returns: matt

1. NFS please help me please please please sniff

Sorry, I am nearing my threshold of desperacy...

All I want to do is to mount my home directory at an NIS or NYS or
whatever DEC ALPHA's to a directory at my root. I got permission to do

P75 with 8RAM, 22MB swap with a normal functioning ISA 16b ethernet
card. (NE2000):

mount tahoe.cs/usr/tahoe1/crestrashgarbageetc /tahoe -o
default,timeo14,intr,rsize=2048,wsize=2048

and i get an error message forwarded from the NFS server of tahoe that
no such directory exists. if I try another directory I do not have
access to, again it says so, denies me permission. But when I try to
mount my home directory at tahoe, for which I have permission in the
exports file in tahoe, nothing happens! It just hangs there like that.
My harddisk light flashes every ten-fifteen seconds. I wait and wait
and wait... Nothing. Then my network speed falls down (or so it seems
to me) and down.I press C-c etc, nothing interrupts it. I switch to
another terminal to kill it, eg only with -9.

what may be the problem? please please please help me.

Sincerely thank you,

Cenk Ergan

2. Has anyone compiled cxterm successfully?

3. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

4. 2.4.20 - yenta, i82365 PCI / ISA irq problem

5. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

6. ncurses 'field' to string transfer.

7. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

8. C compiler cant create executables

9. please please please help me!

10. Please Please Please HELP

11. Please, please, please- can anyone provide any help?

12. still need printer help please please please