FreeBSD on DEC Alpha

Post by Dragos-Anton Manolesc » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have an Alphastation 200 4/233 and I'd like to switch to FreeBSD
4.0--I'm currently running Linux Debian. I'm looking for answers to
the following questions--they're probably answered elsewhere but I
don't have the time to dig for them...

1. Can FreeBSD run Tru64 binaries (Netscape) in the same way Linux
   does--i.e., with the proper Tru64 runtime libraries? (I don't think
   Netscape has an Alpha FreeBSD binary :-(

2. Does FreeBSD support the pcmcia-cs package on the Alpha? My box
   came with an ISA-PCMCIA adapter and I need to mount compact flash
   cards.

TIA,

-Dragos

p.s. I assume that my S3 Virge video card will work with FreeBSD since
both Linux and FreeBSD use XFree...

FreeBSD on DEC Alpha

Post by Jordan Hubbar » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> 1. Can FreeBSD run Tru64 binaries (Netscape) in the same way Linux
>    does--i.e., with the proper Tru64 runtime libraries? (I don't think
>    Netscape has an Alpha FreeBSD binary :-(

Yes, simply be sure to install /usr/ports/emulators/osf1_base first;
that will give you the libraries you need to run Tru64 netscape, among
other things.

Quote:> 2. Does FreeBSD support the pcmcia-cs package on the Alpha? My box
>    came with an ISA-PCMCIA adapter and I need to mount compact flash
>    cards.

Not sure about the answer to this one.  It's the first I've ever heard
of anyone trying to use PCMCIA on that architecture.

Quote:> p.s. I assume that my S3 Virge video card will work with FreeBSD since
> both Linux and FreeBSD use XFree...

Yes.

-- Jordan Hubbard
   Co-founder/Release Engineer, The FreeBSD Project
   Walnut Creek CDROM