System Banner

Post by Peter Koldi » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Which file do I have to edit to allow a system banner or information
screen to appear before the login prompt appears? (FreeBSD 2.15R)

Thanks in advance.

System Banner

Post by Nathan V. Patwardh » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Which file do I have to edit to allow a system banner or information
: screen to appear before the login prompt appears? (FreeBSD 2.15R)

Look at the /etc/rc.* files.

--

"Lane, this is pure snow!  Do you have any idea what
the street value of this mountain is?"

System Banner

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Which file do I have to edit to allow a system banner or information
> screen to appear before the login prompt appears? (FreeBSD 2.15R)

Not a file, but all logins get this from the `im' capability in
gettytab(5).  Unlike SysV :), you can even change it for telnet
logins.

For example, that's my banner message:

Welcome at uriah.heep.sax.de!
Current date & time: Sun Feb  2 02:18:07 MET 1997
Please login with "msg" if you wanna leave a message to the owner.

login:

My default gettytab entry is:

default:\
        :ap:fd#1000:\
        :im=\r\nWelcome at %h!\r\nCurrent date & time\072 %d\r\nPlease login with "msg
" if you wanna leave a message to the owner.\r\n\r\n:\
        :sp#1200:ce:ck

--
cheers, J"org

System Banner

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Which file do I have to edit to allow a system banner or information
> screen to appear before the login prompt appears? (FreeBSD 2.15R)

Btw., David Nugent added the ability to specify an /etc/issue-like
login banner today.

--
cheers, J"org

System Banner

Post by Joe Warren-Meek » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Look at the /etc/rc.* files.

actually its gettytab, under the default entry

joe

--
Joe Warren-Meeks - Systems Administrator / Webmaster

P O P P E   T Y S O N   E U R O P E
http://www.poppe.com/

System Banner

Post by Steve Bernack » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

J"org--

Where can this change be found... 2.2? :-)  I was toying with the idea of
writing something like this that would allow you to run a program and put
it's std output as the banner.  For example, I could run 'fortune' as part
of the banner.  Has someone already implimented this?

Thanks!
-S

: > Which file do I have to edit to allow a system banner or information
: > screen to appear before the login prompt appears? (FreeBSD 2.15R)

: Btw., David Nugent added the ability to specify an /etc/issue-like
: login banner today.

: --
: cheers, J"org

: Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Steve Bernacki, Jr. | Systems/Networks Administrator

"Yes is the answer" -John Lennon

System Banner

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Where can this change be found... 2.2? :-)

No, the login class implementation didn't make it into 2.2 (and won't
be merged since it's a new feature that's still under development).

I'm not sure whether David Nugent intends to merge some of his changes
that are not so login class dependant.

--
cheers, J"org

1. System Banner Messages

Is there a way to have the message pause so that the user has to hit any
key before it continues on?

Richard Ramson
AIX Administrator
American Red Cross
703-206-6116

Date: 18 Jan 1999 16:20:57 GMT
Subject: Re: System Banner Messages

Mark,

Are you talking about /etc/motd?  It's just another file.  You can add
anything you want to it.  I've used it for all sorts of information like
service levels, important phone numbers, warnings, etc.  The biggest
problem I have is that folks tend to ignore that first screen and go
about their business.  ;-)

Connie

2. game pad support

3. Term + ka9q, is this possible???

4. Modifying system login banner/login prompt

5. syslog/ftpd woes

6. banner advertismenet tracking system

7. 2.2.19pre13 problems.

8. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

9. Turn off "header/banner"???

10. login banner change for Solaris 2.7?

11. We proudly present the Freenix Banner Exchange program - open and free for all free unix contributors

12. lpr/lpd indefinite printing of banner page