Experiences with WaveLAN (Lucent Orinocco) Cards

Experiences with WaveLAN (Lucent Orinocco) Cards

Post by Peter Wullinge » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:17:47

Anybody got experiences with the WaveLAN Cards from Lucent?

I'm particularly interested in information
about the maximum `reasonable' range they
can be used, i.e. the range where they still get
decent throughput.
I have to connect two systems which are about 100m
away from each other (with only two or three walls
in between, otherwise line of sight), but before
I'll spend the money I just want to ask, if somebody
ever did this before and has some experience with it.

Other solution proposals are (of course) welcome,
but cost is a very serious matter in the mentioned
situation ...

Thanks,
Peter

Post by mic.. » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:22:30

> Anybody got experiences with the WaveLAN Cards from Lucent?
> I'm particularly interested in information
> about the maximum `reasonable' range they
> can be used, i.e. the range where they still get
> decent throughput.
> I have to connect two systems which are about 100m
> away from each other (with only two or three walls
> in between, otherwise line of sight), but before
> I'll spend the money I just want to ask, if somebody
> ever did this before and has some experience with it.

Here we have an Apple and a Cisco system. They work well at
distances <= 50 m but after that the signal begins to be weak.

Quote:> Other solution proposals are (of course) welcome,

--
Michel Talon

Experiences with WaveLAN (Lucent Orinocco) Cards

Post by Thor Legvol » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 02:18:29

I just signed up to a broadband ISP that uses AP-1000's and Orinoco cards on
a ISA or PCI bridge card.

Took me a bit of head scratching but I finally got it working.

The ISP says you _must_ have a line of sight, otherwise forget it. I'm
between 50-100m from the mast of the nearest node with a roof shadowing
somewhat, but have a stable 11Mb connection with approx. 20db SNR average
(varies between 17-24). YMMV.

Regards,
Thor

Quote:> Anybody got experiences with the WaveLAN Cards from Lucent?

> I'm particularly interested in information
> about the maximum `reasonable' range they
> can be used, i.e. the range where they still get
> decent throughput.
> I have to connect two systems which are about 100m
> away from each other (with only two or three walls
> in between, otherwise line of sight), but before
> I'll spend the money I just want to ask, if somebody
> ever did this before and has some experience with it.

> Other solution proposals are (of course) welcome,
> but cost is a very serious matter in the mentioned
> situation ...

> Thanks,
> Peter

1. ISA-to-PCMCIA card (with Lucent WaveLAN card) not recognized

Hi.

I want to setup an old PC as router to the internet for
my home LAN. Installed is OpenBSD 3.1. For internet access
I'm using a Lucent WaveLAN IEEE card. It's a PCMCIA card
which is installed into an ISA-to-PCMCIA adaptor card.
It runs fine with Linux (checked with fli4l).
Unfortunately OpenBSD 3.1 can't find my wireless network
card. dmesg/ifconfig says nothing about wi0 ...

isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x203
pcic3 at isapnp0 "VIA PCMCIA CARD, PNP0E00, PNP0E00, " port 0x3e0/2
pcic3: VIA PCMCIA CARD (ident 0xff Not OK)
biomask 4040 netmask 5040 ttymask 50c2
full dmesg here: http://www.cyberterrorists.de/gerrit/dmesg

Seems that the ISA-to-PCMCIA card wasn't properly detected.
I've tested all 3 floppy images - nothing helped.
Building an own kernel (cvs checkout, GENERIC) didn't helped.
What means "ident not ok"? Thinking it's some kind of string
which simply didn't matched correctly I changed the source
to simply skip this check -> generated a crash :-(

Googling around I found this:
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0106/msg02037.html

Exactly the same problem ... But this text tells something
that the isa-pcmcia bridge may be an ISAPNP device.
What's the difference between ISA and ISAPNP drivers?
Where is the /etc/isapnp.conf under OpenBSD?
Are there tools like pnpdump under linux?

Thanks for any help,

Gerrit Albrecht

2. AutoCAD under Linux

3. Lucent Technologies WaveLAN card problem under FreeBSD 4.0R

4. sed address question

5. NCR/AT&T/Lucent WaveLAN 915MHz ISA Cards

6. Problems with caching IDE

7. Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco

8. SLIP Setup

9. Lucent Orinoco (WaveLAN II) Cards

10. Problem with 'Hot Swap' for the Lucent's Wavelan PC card!

11. Lucent WaveLAN ISA card support

12. 2.4.19 orinoco_cs with Lucent WaveLAN "bronze"

13. Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE" kernel 2.4.6 wvlan_cs, orinoco_cs ..