Using dump with a DDS3 DAT drive.

Post by Brian Bergstra » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

First let me say that I am not using FreeBSD, I am actually using Slackware
Linux (which is a BSD inspired distro of Linux). I am posting here because
very few people running Linux seem to use dump/restore and I can't find
any info on it. Also I am using MIT's port of dump which they say is
a direct port from FreeBSD.

Okay, now for my problem(s). I have a Compaq ProLient 1600 with the
integrated SCSI controllers. It has one 9GB disk on bus 1  (UW),
and a Compaq DDS3 (12/24GB) DAT drive on bus 2 (FAST). The tape
drive uses the Linux generic SCSI tape drive and seems to function properly.

My problem is that valid dumps are sporadic.
My dump procedure is to boot in single mode, unmount all partitions
and remount root read-only. I then dump root, and remount it rw
and then dump the other partitions with the update flag.

The dump command I use is:
dump [level] -f /dev/nrmt0 -d 122000 [-u] filesystem
(the linux version supports the dump option syntax, and the more
common UNIX option syntax)

When I dumped the filesytems in this order: / /usr /home /var /usr/local
var and usr/local would always be corrupted ( I could ls through the dir
structure in restore, but trying to add a file produced a 'bad name' error),
but / usr and home would be ok.

Changing the density to 120000 / usr and home would be corrupted and
var and usr/local would work.

I also tried dumping just var and usr/local with the density at 122000
to the beginning of a tape, and they were still corrupted!

I guess my question is, what are the right dump parameters to get this to work
right. I tried setting the feet (s) option to 410 (the length of a DDS3
tape), but
dump then thought that the tape was full after about 5 MB.

I am really at a lost here, I need to get this working reliably. I would greatly
appreciate any help.

Could please cc me any replies as I don't watch this group often.

Thanks,
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer
Northern Illinois University

Post by Martin Dieringe » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> The dump command I use is:
> dump [level] -f /dev/nrmt0 -d 122000 [-u] filesystem
> (the linux version supports the dump option syntax, and the more
> common UNIX option syntax)

> Changing the density to 120000 / usr and home would be corrupted and
> var and usr/local would work.

> I also tried dumping just var and usr/local with the density at 122000
> to the beginning of a tape, and they were still corrupted!

have you tried the -a option?

1. HP DDS3 DAT drive + Redhat 5.1 Linux + dump

I have Redhat 5.1 Linux system running and recently bought HP DDS3 DAT
drive. It seems that dump/restore program is the go for my situation. I
have two problems.

First, i can not back up more than one file system, even if i use
/dev/nst0 which is non-rewinding device.  When I store more than one
file system, restore command only shows first file system and sometimes
reports Input Error. Please help me. I didn't install any device driver
because it didn't have one with it.

Second question. for dump program what tape density and length value
should I use?

TIA
Ahrum

2. parallel port tape drives

3. UUCP and Anonymous UUCP

4. Using dump: DAT drive density/blocking-factor

5. Partition

6. DDS3 dat drives

7. PCI stuff

8. DAT Drive & DDS/DDS2/DDS3

9. Installing Sony SDT-S9000 DDS3 DAT drive

10. DDS3 DAT DRIVE

11. Alphaserver 800, RH6.0 and still trying to detect my Dat Drive DDS3

12. DAT Drive & DDS/DDS2/DDS3