Older version of FreeBSD

Post by trived » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a question about an older version of FreeBSD.  I have a Packard
Bell(an old one) which has a 486SX with only 25 MHz, 4 Mb of RAM, and a
170 megabyte hard drive.  It currently has Windows 3.11 Workgroups on
it, but I don't use it.  It just collects dust in the corner of my
home.  I asked in comp.unix.questions what I should do with it and
they(meaning most on the group) told me to install FreeBSD on it.  I
thought about installing Linux on it, but after visiting the FreeBSD.org
site, it seems to me that FreeBSD handles older hardware better.  What
version of FreeBSD should I install on it?  Can anyone also tell me
where it is I can get that version of FreeBSD?  I don't need to have KDE
or anything like that on it, just a *nix like operating system to mess
around with.  I bought that old 486 back in 1995 when it was considered
one of the best available and I spent $1,000 for it.  It would suck if I
just threw it away.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Trivedi

Older version of FreeBSD

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have a question about an older version of FreeBSD.  I have a Packard
> Bell(an old one) which has a 486SX with only 25 MHz, 4 Mb of RAM, and a
> 170 megabyte hard drive.  It currently has Windows 3.11 Workgroups on
> I bought that old 486 back in 1995 when it was considered
> one of the best available and I spent $1,000 for it.  It would suck if I
> just threw it away.

Actually, 75 MHz Pentiums were out in the summer of 1994.  By 1995, I
believe one of the best available was a P90 with a 525 MB HD.  Maybe you
mean 1993. :-)  I remember people having a 486 DX/2 66 MHz back in Spring
1993.

- Donn

Older version of FreeBSD

Post by Blaz Zup » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I have a question about an older version of FreeBSD.  I have a Packard
>Bell(an old one) which has a 486SX with only 25 MHz, 4 Mb of RAM, and a
>170 megabyte hard drive.  It currently has Windows 3.11 Workgroups on

You should be able to run 2.2.8 on this box, actually I think even 3.x would
run, although I haven't tried myself (I did try with 2.2.8 and it worked). The
only problem will be RAM, 4Mb is not enough to install the box. There are two
things you can do, the first is to put the disk into a bigger box and install
there, then move the disk back into this box. The other solution is to borrow
(just for the instalation) or buy more RAM, because even when the system runs
with 4Mb of RAM, it will be painful. I had a couple of router boxes which had
4Mb of RAM, but it was problematic even to telnet in twice, because it was
running out of RAM. Try to get 4Mb more RAM (which could be difficult because
those old SIMMs are sometimes hard to find) and you should be all set.

I'm using a box like this (with 8Mb of RAM) as a print server. Our main file
server is not on the same floor as the printer, so it is very easy to connect
the printer to a machine like this. All the processing is done by the main
server (i.e. postscript conversion with ghostscript) and then sent to the print
server which just sends the data to the printer.

You could also take a look at PicoBSD which was designed just for machines like
this! http://www.FreeBSD.org/~picobsd/

--

Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia

Older version of FreeBSD

Post by Dinesh Nai » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> You could also take a look at PicoBSD which was designed just for machines like
> this! http://www.FreeBSD.org/~picobsd/

or picobsd based on fbsd2.2.5 at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~picobsd/picobsd225/
the smaller size requirements means lynx in the dialup flavour and snmpd
in the net and isp flavours.

--
By the grace of God,            /\_/\   "All dogs go to heaven."

+=======================----oOO--(_)--OOo----=========================+
|for a in past present future; do                                     |
| for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do |
| echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b."|
|done; done                                                           |
+=====================================================================+
http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/htbin/pks-extract-key.pl?op=get&search=0x230096E9

Older version of FreeBSD

Post by t.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I have a question about an older version of FreeBSD.  I have a Packard
>Bell(an old one) which has a 486SX with only 25 MHz, 4 Mb of RAM, and a
>170 megabyte hard drive.  It currently has Windows 3.11 Workgroups on
>it, but I don't use it.  It just collects dust in the corner of my
>home.  I asked in comp.unix.questions what I should do with it and
>they(meaning most on the group) told me to install FreeBSD on it.  I
>thought about installing Linux on it, but after visiting the FreeBSD.org
>site, it seems to me that FreeBSD handles older hardware better.  What
>version of FreeBSD should I install on it?

Even with the older versions of FreeBSD, 4MB was rather a tight squeeze.
2.1.X was I think the last version that would install in 4MB without too many
problems.

If you can, at the least bump it up to 8MB.  Then you can install the
current version of FreeBSD just fine.

 Can anyone also tell me

Quote:>where it is I can get that version of FreeBSD?  I don't need to have KDE
>or anything like that on it, just a *nix like operating system to mess
>around with.  I bought that old 486 back in 1995 when it was considered
>one of the best available and I spent $1,000 for it.  It would suck if I
>just threw it away.

Find someone with a drawer of older SIMMS and your in business.
Quote:>Thanks for your help in advance,

>Trivedi

Older version of FreeBSD

Post by Louis Epste » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

:
: > I have a question about an older version of FreeBSD.  I have a Packard
: > Bell(an old one) which has a 486SX with only 25 MHz, 4 Mb of RAM, and a
: > 170 megabyte hard drive.  It currently has Windows 3.11 Workgroups on
:
: > I bought that old 486 back in 1995 when it was considered
: > one of the best available and I spent $1,000 for it.  It would suck if I
: > just threw it away.
:
: Actually, 75 MHz Pentiums were out in the summer of 1994.  By 1995, I
: believe one of the best available was a P90 with a 525 MB HD.  Maybe you
: mean 1993. :-)  I remember people having a 486 DX/2 66 MHz back in Spring
: 1993.

I got a 486DX/25 in 1991,more advanced than his 1995 model...in 1995
I got 486DX-4/120s.I recall Pentium 90s being available in late 1994.
Didn't the P120 come out in 1995?

: - Donn

Older version of FreeBSD

Post by James McNaughto » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Regarding where to get it, if you have a fast internet connection ( or a
slow one and a lot of time on your hands) you can install off the 'net. Go
to www.freebsd.org and follow the instructions.

I ordered CD's from www.cdrom.com but currently I don't see any mention of
versions older than 3.4 on their web site.

best of luck

1. Older version of FreeBSD: Part II

Hello,
    A little while ago, I posted a question about older version of
FreeBSD running on my machine(486SX w/ 25 Mhz, 4 Mb of RAM, 170 Megabyte
Hard disk).  I only had 4 Mb or RAM and the response was to upgrade to
at least 8 Mb of RAM.  I followed the advice and paid $15 to get it to
12 Mb.  Now the question that remains is: Do I need to get a bigger Hard
Disk?  Is 170 enough?  I'm not going to be putting a lot of stuff on
here.  I just want to mess around with the OS and learn it step by step,
so a basic installation is good.  I don't even need to have KDE on it.
What advice do you have for me?  Should I buy a 1.5 Gig Hard drive and
pay the $50 it cost, or should I start to install the OS with the
existing 170 Mb?  Has anyone had experience with FreeBSD on a small hard
drive?

Thank you for your help before and thank you in advance for this one.

Trivedi

P.S.  I know most of you hate guiding newbies by holding their hand
through the installation, but you have to understand that I have never
worked with anything other than Windows and the system I'm planning on
installing FreeBSD is old.  Sorry!

2. OSDI, the 5th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation

3. Upgrading from older version of FreeBSD

4. Multiple Forward addresses

5. Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

6. tcp wrappers for x86

7. WTB: Older version of SunOS and appropriate hardware

8. off-site backup

9. compiling older version of 'fortune' with gcc2.7.2.1: problem in dirent.h

10. Developing on New Solaris While Supporting Older Versions

11. Windowing systems with older versions of SunOS?

12. laptops that can run older redhat versions

13. Older version of AIX for a 7011-250