Slow 3C509 -- FINAL POST

Post by Richard L. La » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I posted last week regarding problems with slow performance running
FreeBSD 2.1R and a 3C509.  Essentially, I was getting less than
100kbytes/sec FTP throughput, on a machine that normally obtains
600+kbytes/sec.

I swapped the 509 with a 507, and got the same results.  I swapped
my Adaptec 1740 with an Adaptec 1542B, and got the same results.
At various times, other symptoms appeared:

  - system hangs during ep0/ie0 ifconfig
  - corrupted CMOS data, EISA config data, and NIC config data
  - network wedged over the weekend, but FreeBSD was still running

So, I'm giving up.  I reinstalled Linux, and now have my accustomed
performance back.

I can only assume that I have an obscure hardware incompatibility
that affects FreeBSD, but not Linux, OS/2, or WinNT.  Maybe I'll
have the chance to try it again, after I get new hardware.

I'm disappointed, because the main application I have for Unix is
as a stable, "known good" TCP/IP platform.  FreeBSD's reputation
in this regard and success stories like its use at ftp.cdrom.com
were compelling.

One thing I won't miss, though, is the endless political arguments that
this newsgroup is burdened with.  It would be a change for the better
if the regulars here could tilt the traffic balance more toward helping
folks than arguing.

Richard Lamb

--
Richard L. Lamb, Jr. N6UDD              Opinions expressed are my own,
System Analyst                          not those of my employer.

Los Angeles, California                 Compuserve: 75765,1505

Slow 3C509 -- FINAL POST

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00

[story about not working 3c509]

Quote:> I'm disappointed, because the main application I have for Unix is
> as a stable, "known good" TCP/IP platform.  FreeBSD's reputation
> in this regard and success stories like its use at ftp.cdrom.com
> were compelling.

Stable TCP/IP platform doesn't mean ``stable drivers for any and all
ethernet cards around''.  Of course, ftp.cdrom.com doesn't use a
3c509.  Actually, many people consider its design rather crappy, but
that's a matter of taste.  The 3c509 driver is arguably not as good as
many other ethernet drivers in FreeBSD, while it seems to be one of
the better drivers in Linux.

Nevertheless, you must also have some hardware problem, since i've
seen much better results even with a 3c509.

--
cheers, J"org

1. ATI Mach64: My final Post

Hello all,

Thanks to all the very nice folks who commiserated and tried to help
with my ATI Mach64 situation.  I'm pleased to say that my problems are
solved.  DON'T send me a flood of mail asking how.  I simply gave up.
I swapped out the Xpression card for a no-name accellerator with the S3
Trio64 chipset.  It worked beautifully the first time I fired it up.
Big bubbles, no troubles.  Wish I'd have ditched that Mach64 turkey
right away.

Thanks again to those with whom I corresponded.  I hope that you find
an updated server to support those orphan Ramdacs soon.

--John

2. skip first line using sed

3. File extensions - final posting

4. Help with setting up internet connection

5. Connect a LAN to the 'net (final attempt at posting)

6. umask problem

7. 2.2.0, 2.2.0-final, patch-2.2.0-final -- what's the diff?

8. Error: Widget dash has zero width and/or height

9. Slow 3C509

10. extremely slow and strange connection with cable modem and 3c509

11. RH 6.0 3c509 Slow telnet connection

12. ELink 3c509 dog slow over BNC connection?

13. Slow 3c509 NIC setup