console with more than 25 lines

Post by Steve Ahrend » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> how can I configure the system to have the console with more than 25
> lines, say 132x60? Mine is FreeBSD 3.2, SVGA card.

> I suspect that this question was asked more than 1000 times, and
> there must be a manual entry somewhere. But I could not find it.

> Thanks,

> You can even answer with rtfm, but please tell me where

man 1 vidcontrol

Steve

Post by Tran Duc Trun » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

how can I configure the system to have the console with more than 25
lines, say 132x60? Mine is FreeBSD 3.2, SVGA card.

I suspect that this question was asked more than 1000 times, and
there must be a manual entry somewhere. But I could not find it.

Thanks,

You can even answer with rtfm, but please tell me where

console with more than 25 lines

Post by Christian Rudolp » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> how can I configure the system to have the console with more than 25
> lines, say 132x60?
<SNIP>
> You can even answer with rtfm, but please tell me where

man vidcontrol :-)

Try "vidcontrol -i mode" to get a list of supported modes for your
video card. If you found a mode you like put the following line
in your rc.conf: allscreen_flags="mysettings". Mysettings follows
the same syntax you need for the vidcontrol command. You can also
control here the behavior of your mouse.

HTH

-cr

console with more than 25 lines

Post by ikke » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Try "vidcontrol -i mode" to get a list of supported modes for your
> video card. If you found a mode you like put the following line
> in your rc.conf: allscreen_flags="mysettings". Mysettings follows
> the same syntax you need for the vidcontrol command. You can also
> control here the behavior of your mouse.

I've been wondering how this command works for a long time... even
though vidcontrol -i mode gives a list of 40 screen modes, and I know
for a fact my card supports at the very least 80x50 textmode, only modes
80x25 and VGA_80x30 seem to work. Any other mode gives results like
this:

root# vidcontrol -x 80x50
vidcontrol: cannot set videomode: Invalid argument

I assume I forgot something, or I might have the syntax wrong?

:
:I've been wondering how this command works for a long time... even
:though vidcontrol -i mode gives a list of 40 screen modes, and I know
:for a fact my card supports at the very least 80x50 textmode, only modes
:80x25 and VGA_80x30 seem to work. Any other mode gives results like
:this:
:
:root# vidcontrol -x 80x50
:vidcontrol: cannot set videomode: Invalid argument
:
:I assume I forgot something, or I might have the syntax wrong?

Forgot something.  It needs a font to be loaded first.  I don't remember
the details about actually doing it but that should be enough of a hint.
:-)

... JG

1. RH 7.0 : change console text lines from 25 to 50 or higher ?

is there a way to change no. of text lines on console from 25 to
something higher on Red Hat 7.0 ? 25 lines is just not enough.

There's nowhere in Red Hat 7.0 install and getting started guide
that describes how to change that. Also I did a search and found out
about the FreeBSD command "vidcontrol" but it is not availble in RH7.0.
(See I did my research before I bother the world......)
Thank you

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. sendmail: reverse alias mapping?

3. 25/50 Line Console Mode

4. FTP tx err within LAN, but ok for internet

5. NEWBIE: How do I increase console display from from 25 to 50 lines?

6. Search Engines apart from ht://Dig

7. Linux console mode - more than 25 lines?

8. Redhat 5.1 Installation: Bootdisk "Hangs"

9. More than 25 lines on console?

10. console 25 pin configuration for icl drs6000 level300?

11. How to turn 132*25 in console mode

12. Serial Port console with Portmaster 25

13. Running x.25 pad on console from startup