ppp

Post by Rick Knebe » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I am somewhat new to freebsd but am familiar with Linux.
I have been trying to set up my ppp connection to my ISP.
I took the advice of the people on this list and read the handbook pages
on ppp on the free bsd homepage. I actually got pretty far. I can now
connect to my ISP but it disconnects within about 30 seconds. I have
dynamic IP adress assignment and thought I followed the directions
correctly in preparing my files in the etc/ppp directory.
I had to actually make the etc/reslv.conf file before I added the
entries. Was I supposed to do this or is this file not needed.
Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it as to
where I can start looking for the problem that is causing my dropped
connection.
Thanks Alot
Rick Knebel

ppp

Post by Kevin Eliu » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I am somewhat new to freebsd but am familiar with Linux.
> I have been trying to set up my ppp connection to my ISP.
> I took the advice of the people on this list and read the handbook pages
> on ppp on the free bsd homepage. I actually got pretty far. I can now
> connect to my ISP but it disconnects within about 30 seconds. I have
> dynamic IP adress assignment and thought I followed the directions
> correctly in preparing my files in the etc/ppp directory.
> I had to actually make the etc/reslv.conf file before I added the
> entries. Was I supposed to do this or is this file not needed.
> Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it as to
> where I can start looking for the problem that is causing my dropped
> connection.
> Thanks Alot

Check your timeout in your ppp.conf

ie set timeout=N (N=seconds)

--
=| Regards,             =| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
=| Kevin G. Eliuk       =| "Free at last, free at last, ...."

ppp

Post by Andras Radi » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Hi,
>> I am somewhat new to freebsd but am familiar with Linux.
>> I have been trying to set up my ppp connection to my ISP.
>> I took the advice of the people on this list and read the handbook pages
>> on ppp on the free bsd homepage. I actually got pretty far. I can now
>> connect to my ISP but it disconnects within about 30 seconds. I have
>> dynamic IP adress assignment and thought I followed the directions
>> correctly in preparing my files in the etc/ppp directory.
>> I had to actually make the etc/reslv.conf file before I added the
>> entries. Was I supposed to do this or is this file not needed.
>> Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I would much appreciate it as to
>> where I can start looking for the problem that is causing my dropped
>> connection.
>> Thanks Alot

>Check your timeout in your ppp.conf

>ie set timeout=N (N=seconds)

I'm having a very similar problem, (good connection with a disconnect
30s - 2min later), but I found in the built-in error logging that it
was due to "Too many ECHO packets lost" or some such.  I've never had
this problem before (under Linux and DOS/Windows) -- so what does this
error mean?  And what can I do to stop it?  (Btw, the connection is at
26.4 and mostly error-free).

Andras
--
/\ Andras Radics                        May the Source be with you.

1. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

I made a trick .. instead of using chat to connect PPP like was in the
books
(that for me doesn't work) I used dip (it's the one that is supposed to be
used with SLIP connections) .. I make a script for dip so it connects using
PPP, and everything goes fine till I connect... After I connect the host
where i'm connected is Okay and everything seems to be Okay. but when I do
I simple ping to my own IP (not localhost but my assigned fixed IP) it says
unable to reach host.. I think the hardest thing to setup in linux is PPP
:( .. geee...

I have the Slackware 3.0 stuff... and I feel like i'm a newbie.. :(

Is out there any better FAQs or How-TOs for the PPP connections ???

bye !

--
 _    ____ ____          _____________________________
| |  |    |  __|         Luis Aranguren Carvajal
| |  | || | |            http://www.ven.net/~pizzaman

|____|_||_|____|         _____________________________

2. Linux and ISDN?

3. PPP - sh: /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer: Permission denied HELP!

4. Thinkpad 755CX - WD90C24 - X11

5. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection

6. binding tcp/ip app to a pppd

7. ppp-on/ppp-on-dialer/ppp-off???

8. Help: NAT/DHCP devices

9. Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off

10. Help: How to get PPP to read /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

11. PPP-ON / PPP-OFF advanced config with multidrop mailbox

12. PPP ping problem; PPP local address?

13. ppp-user - Users can handle PPP easily