Newbie question

Post by ARCADIU » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 21:50:36

Hello !
I'm going to buy a new HDD into an old PC (PI,200MHz)....and install FreeBDS
on it .
In case I'll get a new PC, is it possible for me to just remove the HDD from
the old PC and put it in the new PC(  and use my installed BSD) without
having to reinstall the whole system ?

Thanks...

Arcad.

Newbie question

Post by Bill Mora » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 02:57:19

> Hello !
> I'm going to buy a new HDD into an old PC (PI,200MHz)....and install FreeBDS
> on it .
> In case I'll get a new PC, is it possible for me to just remove the HDD from
> the old PC and put it in the new PC(  and use my installed BSD) without
> having to reinstall the whole system ?

Probably. Although if you create a custom kernel you'll probably have to
adjust and rebuild it after the switch (booting from kernel.GENERIC
should work just fine)

--
FreeBSD ('BSD'):
No battles to the death are recalled. It is a small Daemon wearing

Newbie question

Post by Dan Zerkl » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Hello !
> I'm going to buy a new HDD into an old PC (PI,200MHz)....and install FreeBDS
> on it .
> In case I'll get a new PC, is it possible for me to just remove the HDD from
> the old PC and put it in the new PC(  and use my installed BSD) without
> having to reinstall the whole system ?

I have done exactly this.  There may be some issues.

As mentioned earlier, if you build a custom kernel to work better with
your old system (and I recommend that you do), you'll have to undo the
customizations and go back to the generic kernel before you switch.  In
particular, if you've customized to a Pentium, any more advanced chip
will not run until you tune the kernel.

There are other customizations, of course.  If you know how to customize
a kernel, you will understand these issues, so I won't bother explaining
more.

Also, your disks may be arranged differently on the new system.  Where
they are placed on the IDE or SCSI bus is important.  You will have to
boot up single-user and adjust your fstab.

Also, a new computer is likely to have a new video system, so you may
have to re-configure X-windows (the biggest pain in the....).

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. Help with PPP problem in 2.5.1 x86

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. fs/ufs/super.c, kernel 2.4.18-pre8

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. EZ WAY TO MAKE MONEY

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

8. ksh93 - command/file/etc completion?

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.