cdrom & kde

Post by Chery » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

When I click the cdrom the cd console appears for a moment then vanishes
leaving just a core dump in my desk top.  What have I not done?  I am
running 3.1.  The mixer works so I know my sound card is working.

Thanks in advance.

cdrom & kde

Post by John J. Rushford Jr » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

> When I click the cdrom the cd console appears for a moment then vanishes
> leaving just a core dump in my desk top.  What have I not done?  I am
> running 3.1.  The mixer works so I know my sound card is working.
> Thanks in advance.

I ran into the same problem with the cd player and a few other apps.
The port of kde to FreeBSD 3.1 is not very good in my opinion.
Many files and directories are missing or not created.

Anyway try creating the following directory:

    # mkdir /usr/local/share/apps/kscd/cddb

Also, I had to modify the cdplayer  device files using the following
hack, I don't know if there is a configuration file for this anywhere,
I haven't looked at the source.  The port of kscd wants to open a
Matsushita (Panasonic) cdrom, 'matcd'.  I have a SCSI cdrom 'cd' so,
I had to do the following:

    # rm /dev/rmatcd0a
    # rm /dev/rmatcd0c
    # ln -s /dev/rcd0a /dev/rmatcd0a
    # ln -s /dev/rcd0c /dev/rmatcd0c
    # chmod 666 /dev/rcd0a
    # chmod 666 /dev/rcd0c

good luck
--
John J. Rushford

http://www.cs.du.edu/~jjr

cdrom & kde

Post by Kenneth Furg » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

> When I click the cdrom the cd console appears for a moment then vanishes
> leaving just a core dump in my desk top.  What have I not done?  I am
> running 3.1.  The mixer works so I know my sound card is working.

There is a bug in the kscd program that causes it to core dump when it
tries to use the wrong device.  Search this newsgroup on www.deja.com as
this was discussed a few months back.  The basic solution was to run a
configuration program in the kscd subdirectory and then build it
manually.  Directions are in the kscd distribution.

- K.C.

1. KDE & mount cdrom

Just installed Linux Mandrake 6.5 yesterday as a server.

How do I find out the mount point of the CD rom or even the floppy
disk?  When I do a "df", I don't see anything?

Also, the gui starts up fine (X windows I guess) but I was hoping
to see KDE starting also.  Can anybody tell me how to start KDE or
how to find out if it's installed.

Thanks in Advance.

Totally lost.

2. grub on compact flash

3. EIDE & CMD CONTRLL & EIDE CDROM & KERN 1.2.9

4. Help compiling Mumail 2.3

6. Editing fstab

8. 1024x768 resolution doesn't work in X

9. 没有人用中文吗?

10. RH7 & KDE 2.1 upgrade, No icons in kde menu

11. &&&&&& SUGGESTION ??? &&&&&&&&

12. KDE & XDM (auto start of KDE)

13. Kde 3 & kde 2.2.2