Hard drive and tape drive questions

Post by Keith A. Tomkin » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am currently running FreeBSD 2.1 on a 486-100. I am thinking about
upgrading my system to a pentium system which means I need to think about
the new disk system I want. Has anyone out there done a comparison on the
same or similar systems to see what the performance differences are between
SCSI and EIDE disk systems? I am using this as a single user system, so there
are not a lot of processes running.
        I am currently using an Archive Viper tape drive on the SCSI card to
do my backups. I was considering getting on of the new Travan drives to replace
it. Are they supported under 2.1? I looked at the FAQ on the support page,
but I didn't see them specifically mentioned under supported tape drives. Do
they just look like an IDE tape drive?

Thanks
Keith

 *    Keith A. Tomkins    + Cisco Systems, Inc.     +      ||        ||      *
 *  Phone (408) 526-8373  + Workgroup Business Unit +      ||        ||      *
 *  Pager (408) 553-5705  + 170 W. Tasman Dr.       +     ||||      ||||     *
 *  E-mail:               + San Jose, CA 95134-1706 + ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. *

Hard drive and tape drive questions

Post by J Wuns » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am currently running FreeBSD 2.1 on a 486-100. I am thinking about
> upgrading my system to a pentium system which means I need to think about
> the new disk system I want. Has anyone out there done a comparison on the
> same or similar systems to see what the performance differences are between
> SCSI and EIDE disk systems? I am using this as a single user system, so there
> are not a lot of processes running.

Stick with SCSI.  IDE is not slow these days, but wastes a lot of your
CPU cycles.  I could play Xboing while compiling on my SCSI 486/33
system fine, but it went very `snappy' on an IDE 586/166 while
building a kernel over there.

Quote:>    I am currently using an Archive Viper tape drive on the SCSI
> card to do my backups. I was considering getting on of the new
> Travan drives to replace it. Are they supported under 2.1?

They are not.  If you can't afford a better real tape drive, stick
with your Viper -- it's not much of space, but it's a rock-solid one.
Nobody who's thinking about serious tape solutions would consider
floppy tapes as anything closely to being reliable (not even DAT --
i've been surprised about the overall ``Yeah, me too'' echo once i've
vaguely been stating here that DAT and all the other helical scan
technologies aren't considered very reliable either).

--
cheers, J"org