Linux Binary Compatibility

Post by gulasc.. » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Linux Binary Compatibility

Can somebody tell me how this works ? Is this something like Wine ?
And how fast is it. Do the programs work the same speed as they do
unter Linux or are they slower ?

Post by stanislav shaluno » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Can somebody tell me how [Linux Binary Compatibility] works ?

The system calls are handled in a special fashion, emulating Linux.

Quote:> Is this something like Wine ?

Not really.  Wine emulates the APIs, including DLLs.
Wine doesn't care about architecture of the host system.
Linux binary compatibility uses Linux shared libraries,
and only works on the same platform.

Quote:> And how fast is it. Do the programs work the same speed as they do
> unter Linux or are they slower ?

Programs that spend most of their time in user space should work with
about the same speed.  In fact, some people reported that some
commercial applications run faster under binary compatibility
subsystem than under native Linux.  (It's not impossible--FreeBSD VM
sussystem is better in many respects than that of Linux,--but I don't
have any hard evidence of this.)

--
stanislav shalunov                              | Speaking only for myself.

Linux Binary Compatibility

Post by Benjamin_Igm » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

            It simply allows FreeBSD to read/work with Linux binaries, you
have to install this at boot to do a /sys/sysinstall and select that you
want to be able to run linux binaries.

-Ben_Igma

Quote:>Linux Binary Compatibility

>Can somebody tell me how this works ? Is this something like Wine ?
>And how fast is it. Do the programs work the same speed as they do
>unter Linux or are they slower ?

1. static linking -- Solaris & Linux binary compatibility

I have a project at work that requires statically linking a 3rd-party
library against our fortran code under linux.  However, the 3rd-party
library is only provided in sgi, hp-unix, and sun formats (not
linux-native).  The linux bin-tools (ar, nm, etc) can't make heads or
tails of the sgi or hp-unix files, but are able to inspect and unpack
the sun library archive.  The problem comes that the compile fails
when trying to link in the 3rd-party sun library files.  Ideally, we'd
like to create an executable that can by easily distributed to client
sites running linux, so options that involve installation of special
software (e.g. solaris shared libraries) or recompiling the kernel to
add special support would be less desirable.

So, my question is this:  Under what circumstances can linux link in
binary objects from other OSs (sun, in particular; x86 vs sparc
vs...).  And what special steps/flags (if any) are required to allow
this linking?

For reference, here's some system info:
  $ uname -a
Linux jedi-master 2.4.18-6mdkenterprise #1 SMP Fri Mar 15 02:28:20 CET
2002 i686 unknown

  $ gcc -v
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.2 2.96-0.76mdk)

  $ ld -v
GNU ld version 2.11.92.0.12 20011121

  $ file binlib-sun.o
binlib-sun.o: ELF 32-bit MSB relocatable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required,
Sun UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

  $ file main.o  (example linux object file)
ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped

  $ pgf90 main.o -o ../main.exe  (..snip..) binlib-sun.o
/usr/bin/ld: binlib-sun.o: Relocations in generic ELF (EM: 18)
binlib-sun.o: could not read symbols: File in wrong format

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
  Jeremy

2. internal/external network redirection with apache

3. ELF Linux: binary compatibility ?

4. glibc and fileutils

5. NetBSD 1.1 Linux binary compatibility...

6. CSPAN - Shuttle Warren Commission formed - Tuesday nights at 9 PM.

7. Failed to execute binary (UML); binary compatibility broken?

8. PreCompiled binaries for FreeBSD-3.3(stable)

9. Binary compatibility in linux

10. Information on Alpha Linux/DU binary compatibility?

11. Binary compatibility between linux variants?

12. FreeBSD binary compatibility & Linux NVidia device drivers

13. Binary compatibility is what needs to be improoved in Linux