how do I find out what programs/processes are using most resources/memory?

how do I find out what programs/processes are using most resources/memory?

Post by Merli » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:47:20

I don't have much running on this server other than http, and a few of the
standard things, including X, and Icecast + two shout castservers.

Something is sure hogging system resources though, because now the
screensaver things are running like I'm on a 286, not a 1Gb with 512Mb of
ram.

I'll have to try and work out a good kernel config as well I think. always
something isn't there.
bob

--
---
Quantum Radio: World Music with a difference.

how do I find out what programs/processes are using most resources/memory?

Post by Charlie &am » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:25:57

There is a program called top that lists process, cpu usage, memory usage, etc.

Quote:> I don't have much running on this server other than http, and a few of the
> standard things, including X, and Icecast + two shout castservers.

> Something is sure hogging system resources though, because now the
> screensaver things are running like I'm on a 286, not a 1Gb with 512Mb of
> ram.

> I'll have to try and work out a good kernel config as well I think. always
> something isn't there.
> bob

> --
> ---
> Quantum Radio: World Music with a difference.
> http://quantum-radio.net.au/Music/
> Now Playing: Chinese - Melodys from the Night Fisherm

how do I find out what programs/processes are using most resources/memory?

Post by Merli » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:25:10

Thanks,
Good one. I also found systat, and a whole bunch of other 'stats' programs.
Very good.

Basically I find the system is 98% idle on average !!!! There is no load, at
all that I can see.

I really have to suspect faulty motherboard. The system is humming along,
even though I probably need to tune the kernel a bit better than it is.
I suspect I may have some things set too high, and some things set that I
dont need.

The kernel tuning docs are pretty good, but don't give enough real world
examples of the more esoteric tuning options. Buffers and so on.

thanks
Robert

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:12:48

>Good one. I also found systat, and a whole bunch of other 'stats' .
>programs Very good                                                .
>Basically I find the system is 98% idle on average !!!! There is no
>load, at all that I can see.
>I really have to suspect faulty motherboard. The system is humming
>along, even though I probably need to tune the kernel a bit better
>than it is. I suspect I may have some things set too high, and some
>things set that I dont need.

If you are running X a poorly performing video card will also make
things very slow.

how do I find out what programs/processes are using most resources/memory?

Post by Steve » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:21:46

Turn off your screensaver.

If you are in X, then the screensaver will hog the resources. A simple check is
to ssh into your box, and run top.

Of course top uses resources too, but it'll me magnitudes less than the
screensaver.

Steve M

To email remove HOUND from email address,
thx