RC5DES / Bovine / Distributed.net

Post by Chris Maurit » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> If anyone is running the Bovine client on a FreeBSD machine (2.2.6)
> please send me an email, I have questions about why it crashes at the
> completion of a block and would like to know about your settings.

Until I switched the machine to linux, I was running the multhreaded
version on 3.0-current on a dual P120 machine.  It never crashed on
my machine.  I don't have any FreeBSD boxes left (just linux, BSDI
and Slowlaris) so I don't remember which version of rc5des it was.

Crack the RSA RC5-64 encryption algorithm.  Use your idle cpu
cycles to take part in the fastest computer on the planet.
See:   http://www.distributed.net
Join:  http://www.execpc.com/~silby/teamamd.html

RC5DES / Bovine / Distributed.net

Post by Mikhail Teter » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Honorable Peter DePasquale

=If anyone is running the Bovine client on a FreeBSD machine (2.2.6)
=please send me an email, I have questions about why it crashes at the
=completion of a block and would like to know about your settings.

I had this problem. Either try the latest version of rc5des or tell
it to use different CPU core -- pentium if it dies with pro...

        -mi

--
        "Windows for dummies"

Post by Christopher Kh » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>If anyone is running the Bovine client on a FreeBSD machine (2.2.6)
>please send me an email, I have questions about why it crashes at the
>completion of a block and would like to know about your settings.

>Thanks.

I was just about to post about this. I have the same problem too using 2.2.6
as well. I have tried the latest version of both the multithreaded and non
multithreading versions on an old 486sx using the Intel 80386 and 80486 core
and it would core dump.

I have a capture of the output If anyone could tell me what is wrong and
what I could do to fix it I would really appreciate it. I'll try using
another core though and see what happens.

Chris

ps. the capture results return the same errors on both mt and nonmt versions
of the v2.7017.400 FreeBSD clients.

----start of output capture----
[05/29/98 11:33:35 GMT] The proxy says: "[pp] Only because it doesn't work
with
WinGate"
<<<<<
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] Retrieved 5 RC5 block(s) from server
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] RC5 1*2^30 Block: 6A5BC07E:00000000 ready to
process
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] 4 Blocks remain in file buff-in.rc5
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] 0 Blocks are in file buff-out.rc5
Child thread # 1 has been started.
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] RC5 1*2^30 Block: 6A5BC07D:C0000000 ready to
process
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] 3 Blocks remain in file buff-in.rc5
[05/29/98 04:33:36 local] 0 Blocks are in file buff-out.rc5
.....10%.....20%.....30%.....40%.....50%.....60%.....70%.....80%.....90%....
.100%
May 29 17:03:09 ufo /kernel: pid 629 (rc5des), uid 0: exited on signal 11
(core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

----end of output capture----

Post by David McNe » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I was just about to post about this. I have the same problem too using 2.2.6
>as well. I have tried the latest version of both the multithreaded and non
>multithreading versions on an old 486sx using the Intel 80386 and 80486 core
>and it would core dump.

>I have a capture of the output If anyone could tell me what is wrong and
>what I could do to fix it I would really appreciate it. I'll try using
>another core though and see what happens.

People have reported that the error goes away when forcing the client to
use the Pentium core instead of allowing it to autodetect.  We're still
trying to track down what is causing the problem.

And of course (as always) keep an eye out for a new FreeBSD build of the
client.  :)

|David McNett      |To ensure privacy and data integrity this message has|

RC5DES / Bovine / Distributed.net

Post by Peter DePasqual » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I tried using autodetect, Pentium Pro code, Petium code, 486 code, etc.

If I can be of any help testing or you would like a core file, please
let me know.

--
/**************************************/
/*  Pete DePasquale-Graduate Student  */

/**************************************/

Post by Chris Maurit » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>I was just about to post about this. I have the same problem too using 2.2.6
>>as well. I have tried the latest version of both the multithreaded and non
>>multithreading versions on an old 486sx using the Intel 80386 and 80486 core
>>and it would core dump.

>>I have a capture of the output If anyone could tell me what is wrong and
>>what I could do to fix it I would really appreciate it. I'll try using
>>another core though and see what happens.
> People have reported that the error goes away when forcing the client to
> use the Pentium core instead of allowing it to autodetect.  We're still
> trying to track down what is causing the problem.

Maybe that's why I didn't have the error on my smp box.  I force it
to use the Pentium core.

Quote:> And of course (as always) keep an eye out for a new FreeBSD build of the
> client.  :)

You mean it's a leap year already?  :-/

Crack the RSA RC5-64 encryption algorithm.  Use your idle cpu
cycles to take part in the fastest computer on the planet.
See:   http://www.distributed.net
Join:  http://www.execpc.com/~silby/teamamd.html

RC5DES / Bovine / Distributed.net

Post by Samuel S Thom » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hey, what do ya know? I actually have what I believe to be the
correct answer on this one. I was attempting to run it on my laptop,
and had the *exact* same problem. (laptop is an old 486sx) I switched
FPU emulation to GPL_MATH_EMULATE (or whatever it is) in the kernel,
recompiled, and it has been running flawlessly ever since. (It's even
faster than the Linux version I was running prior to this)

HTH,
Sam

Quote:>I was just about to post about this. I have the same problem too using 2.2.6
>as well. I have tried the latest version of both the multithreaded and non
>multithreading versions on an old 486sx using the Intel 80386 and 80486 core
>and it would core dump.

>I have a capture of the output If anyone could tell me what is wrong and
>what I could do to fix it I would really appreciate it. I'll try using
>another core though and see what happens.

>Chris

RC5DES / Bovine / Distributed.net

Post by Peter DePasqual » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Can you elaborate here?  What client version are you running, and
is your laptop running FreeBSD?  I have version v2.7017.400 of the
client, and have no such MATH_EMULATE setting (that I can find).
How do I change mine?

Optimize performance for CPU type
   mode -1) Autodetect
   mode 0) Intel Pentium, Intel Pentium MMX, Cyrix 5x86
   mode 1) Intel 80386, Intel 80486
   mode 2) Intel Pentium Pro, Intel Pentium II
   mode 3) AMD 486, Cyrix 6x86/6x86MX/M2
   mode 4) AMD K5
   mode 5) AMD K6
 [1] -->

Thanks!

--
/**************************************/
/*  Pete DePasquale-Graduate Student  */
/*   Department of Computer Science   */
/*            *ia Tech           */
/**************************************/

/**************************************/

RC5DES / Bovine / Distributed.net

Post by Peter DePasqual » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

The new beta Bovine client for FreeBSD is out, and seems to work fine on
my system.

ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/dcti/beta/rc5des-408-freebsd-x86-nonmt-...

--
/**************************************/
/*  Pete DePasquale-Graduate Student  */
/*   Department of Computer Science   */
/*            *ia Tech           */
/**************************************/

/**************************************/

1. help with distributed.net RC5 install on Redhat 6 (newbie)

I am RedHat 6 Newbie..install is good and gnome works fine ....PII400 128MB
RAM Voodoo3 3000

I have used distributed.net in windows and would like to run in Linux

How do you know which version I should Install?
            [glibc? libc?  what is the difference?]
Is there a RPM version?

Following instructions for Voodoo3 I came across a line which wanted you to
check the version of glib...its 2.1....so I figured I try to download the
glibc version of RC5....I created a folder in the root directory called
/install exploded it and tried to install, however I get a error.....I
couldnt find any info on www.linuxnewbie.com nor distributed.net so I am
posting here.

What folder should I put downloads in?

Thank you for your time
Quinn

2. PIC tutorial, anyone ?

3. A PC Processor benchmark derived from RC5-64 from distributed.net!!!

4. gcc 3.2 under Solaris 9: What else do I need?

5. distributed.net on the life of your processor

6. Installation of Microsoft FP Extensions into Mac OS X Apache -- Any experience?

7. wanted distributed or net make

8. UnixOdbc Compile problem

9. Caldera to distribute source code for DOS on the Net

10. Need volunteer(s) to distribute/test open source net app (free)

11. NetStat Distributed Network Status Client - http://netstat.net

12. Distributed computer across net for worthy causes

13. Linux 2.0.30, SMP, Efficiency, and Distributed Net/RC5