Printing: multiple logical pages per physical page

Printing: multiple logical pages per physical page

Post by charles271.. » Sun, 17 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've just set up my new HP LaserJet 1100, which was easy thanks to the
documentation in the FreeBSD Handbook.

My question is, is there a way to print multiple logical pages per
physical page?  Some filter option to lpr and/or gs?  I'd like to be
able to print 2 or 4 pages per page.

I have the feeling this is something that exists, but I just don't know
what it is.  I can't find it in the documentation anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> My question is, is there a way to print multiple logical pages per
> physical page?  Some filter option to lpr and/or gs?  I'd like to be
> able to print 2 or 4 pages per page.

Install the psutils port.  In it you will find a utility called psnup.  This
does an "n" up of postscript files.  Put it in as a filter in your printcap
file and you're all set.  However, I don't do it this way.  Instead, I have two
aliases set that do 2 up or 4 up printing.  They are:

2up     (psnup -d -b25 -2)
4up     (psnup -d -b25 -4)

I then just type something like "4up FILENAME.ps | lp".

- K.C.

Printing: multiple logical pages per physical page

look in the ports for "mpage", generates Postscript...

--
Andrew N. Messent
0131 468 2428

1. Multiple logical pages on one physical page

I have an HP deskjet 500 hooked up to my Linux box. I can print several
pages to one page using enscript on a remote host to generate the postscript
output then sending it through gs to produce the proper bitmaps for the
printer. Of course, this is totally oblivious to the user, because of the
way the printcap is setup. So all the user has to do is issue lpr x.ps and
the file will print correctly.
Now, does anyone know how I can get enscript for Linux?
The apsfilter program does allow multiple pages per page of normal text files.
This is accomplished by using a different printer stream than the default. I
don't have the docs handy, but apsfilter creates several printer entries under
printcap and each runs a script to do the dirty work of feeding the input
through gs to produce the necessary output. You can print landscape, burst
pages, headers and footers, time/date/filename stamps, whatever you like.
                        Ron Watkins
--

931 Gould-Simpson                            /            /____/     /
University of Arizona                       /            /          /

2. CDROM mounts but won't work properly

3. Adaptec AVA1505 Will Linux ever see it :((

4. PDF, HP, PCL and multiple pages per output page...

5. Monitor refresh

6. Printing 2 postscript pages to 1 physical page ...

7. Help - bridg or link two different subnets

8. Printing a pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript printer

9. How to print multiple pages of PostScript per sheet of paper

10. Mulitple PS-Pages on one physical page

11. Stylus Pro XL+ prints an empty page after every printed page

12. How to setup 2 pages per output page