Reading MS Word attachments-can it be done?

Reading MS Word attachments-can it be done?

Post by bob prohask » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

Is there a way to view MIME-encoded email containing MS Word documents
under FreeBSD?

thanks for reading!
bob

Reading MS Word attachments-can it be done?

Post by Phil Brutsch » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> Is there a way to view MIME-encoded email containing MS Word documents
> under FreeBSD?

It depends on what version of MSWord the document was made with.  The
FreeBSD port of StarOffice might be able to read the document as long
as it was made by Word95 or earlier; it can't read a Word97 document
since StarOffice 3 (the version available for FreeBSD) predates Word97.
You also may want to try running the Linux version of WordPerfect under
the Linux emulation - I've had good luck reading Word97 documents with the
WordPerfect 8 beta.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One.  We've handled the Borg.  We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam!  Visit http://www.cauce.org

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|Is there a way to view MIME-encoded email containing MS Word documents
|under FreeBSD?

There are some programs that may be able to read Microsoft Word documents:

MSWordView
catdoc
word2x
Applix Words
StarOffice
Corel WordPerfect
strings

Post by Tom Keat » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> Is there a way to view MIME-encoded email containing MS Word documents
> under FreeBSD?

> thanks for reading!
> bob

  you might want to give laola011 a try; from www.wotsit.org.

It'll give you a text-based view of your Word attachments.

cheers,
  tom keats

1. Base-64 encoded MS-Word documents as mail attachments

Hello:

I'm running Linux with elm as my Mail user Agent and I've gotten
a mail message with embedded MS-Word documents. I want
to extract the MS Word files in this mail message onto an msdos
floppy so that I may bring it to a computer that runs NT and
Office Professional.

There are header lines like this:

--IMA.Boundary.232995928

which are followed by a blank line, and then some
72-column text.

I've tried to extract these files by assuming that everything
between the Content-Disposition line and the next --IMA.Boundary
line (exclusive) forms the contents of the file "xyz.doc".
I've tried both including and excluding the blank line at the
top, and either way the file still looks like gibberish when
loaded into MS Word.

Do I need to get a secret base64 decoder ring?
This ought to be easy for someone who knows what he's doing --
I guess that leaves me out.  Any tips would be appreciated,
and if possible, please e-mail as well as post replies.

Thank you kindly,
Dave Nadler

2. Who wants a Unix job?

3. Polite rejection of MS-Word attachments?

4. BSD Utils for Linux

5. Viewing MS Word document attachments in Linux

6. redhat-config-httpd doesn't write to httpd.conf

7. Reading mime-encoded and/or Word attachments in email

8. Bar code readers

9. Mail attachments - character set mismatch when reading in MS Exchange

10. CATDOC ver 0.3 (MS-Word reader for UNIX and DOS) released (source here)

11. APPLIX: wordcount.am 1.1 - Word count macro for Words

12. MS-Word reader for UNIX and DOS

13. Help: MS Word 5.5 for DOS video drivers