Does FreeBSD support OnStream IDE tape drives?

Does FreeBSD support OnStream IDE tape drives?

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:52:50

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap tape backup solution.  I know DAT are more
reliable but also much more expensive.  The drive wouldn't be under
heavy use anyway.  So I'm looking at travan 5 or OnStream IDE.

IanP

Post by Peter Mutsaer » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:40:00

    Ian> I'm looking for a cheap tape backup solution.  I know DAT are
    Ian> more reliable but also much more expensive.  The drive
    Ian> wouldn't be under heavy use anyway.  So I'm looking at travan
    Ian> 5 or OnStream IDE.

Given the price of Onstream media, I think you might just as well make
backups on (removable) IDE disks.

For truely large amounts (where you need lots of tapes and media price
gets really important) there is no alternative to DDS-3.

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Dbendorf    | UNIX - Live free or die

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 00:18:28

>     Ian> I'm looking for a cheap tape backup solution.  I know DAT are
>     Ian> more reliable but also much more expensive.  The drive
>     Ian> wouldn't be under heavy use anyway.  So I'm looking at travan
>     Ian> 5 or OnStream IDE.

> Given the price of Onstream media, I think you might just as well make
> backups on (removable) IDE disks.

> For truely large amounts (where you need lots of tapes and media price
> gets really important) there is no alternative to DDS-3.

I see what you mean about the price of OnStream media, having just
checked out prices at http://www.fortecomputers.com.au/.

DAT drives are still about 2x as expensive as Travan 5 and media are
about the same.  Are there any major disadvantages to TR5?  I have heard
that the tapes don't last as long as DAT but that's not important as
backups won't be more frequent than weekly (a home system).

IanP

Does FreeBSD support OnStream IDE tape drives?

Post by Mike Tancs » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:12:28

Quote:>DAT drives are still about 2x as expensive as Travan 5 and media are
>about the same.  Are there any major disadvantages to TR5?  I have heard
>that the tapes don't last as long as DAT but that's not important as
>backups won't be more frequent than weekly (a home system).

We gave up on the onstream and travan style drives. The travan reliability
especially just was not there for us as compared to DDS-3 and 4s.

        ---Mike

Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)

1. Will FreeBSD support the Onstream USB 30 GB ADR tape drive?

Hi,

I have an Onstream 30 GB USB ADR tape drive doing absolutly nothing at the
moment. It would be nice to hook it up to my FreeBSD 4.4 based fileserver
and use it as a backup drive. I can't find any options in the Kernel that
would support it. Is anybody busy with this?

Cheers,

Luke

For e-mail replies: Remove [noSPAMplease] from my e-mail address

2. C99 initializers for drivers/scsi (2 of 4)

3. Have anyone used Onstream IDE DI30 tape drive?

4. Share a Modem?

5. Tape Drive OnStream ECHO30 Internal IDE. Good Choice?

6. Exporting sound devices

7. OnStream IDE Tape drive cannot read its backups

8. [Fwd: Modem slower under Linux than NT]

9. Onstream DI-30 IDE tape drive

10. 2.4.5 kernel Oops accessing OnStream IDE tape drive

11. Onstream DI-30 IDE tape drive

12. OnStream Echo DI30 15/30 IDE tape drive any good with Linux ?

13. OnStream joins the Linux revolution - driver for DI30 IDE tape drive