Installing FreeBSD to share with Linux

Post by Peter Jame » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:14:29

I would like to install FreeBSD 4.8 on a HD that at present holds Linux
Mandrake.  My setup is a Pentium IV with 2 HD's.  On the first is Windows
XP by itself, and on the 2nd HD is Linux. The second HD is 60 gig. Can I
shrink the Linux partition to say 50% of the whole, and install FreeBSD on
the remianing 50%?  If yes, will the FreeBSD installation shrink the HD,
and what will happen to the boot loader, at present on the 1st HD with a
choice of Win XP or Linux?
--

Post by Lowell Gilber » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:31:34

> I would like to install FreeBSD 4.8 on a HD that at present holds Linux
> Mandrake.  My setup is a Pentium IV with 2 HD's.  On the first is Windows
> XP by itself, and on the 2nd HD is Linux. The second HD is 60 gig. Can I
> shrink the Linux partition to say 50% of the whole, and install FreeBSD on
> the remianing 50%?  If yes, will the FreeBSD installation shrink the HD,
> and what will happen to the boot loader, at present on the 1st HD with a
> choice of Win XP or Linux?

How to shrink the Linux partition is really a Linux question; the
FreeBSD installer won't do it for you.

How to adjust the boot loader is a question specific to the boot
loader itself.  If you were already using the FreeBSD boot loader, the
answer would be that you don't need to adjust it, but that you'd need
it installed on both disks.

1. WIN95 Linux share a swap partition from new linux install?

You can do it best like this (please don't quote me on the exact names
of commands and locations, it's been a while since i installed it on
my Linux box, it has been running without a problem):

1) Make the D drive empty and temporarely do NOT use it as a swap
   drive for Win95. So Drive D should be empty and formatted correctly
   with MS-DOS
2) Go into Linux
3) In linux save the first few blocks (128K or so) from /dev/hda2 with
   dd if=/dev/hda2 bs=512 count=256 | compress > /etc/hda2_copy.Z
4) Put in your rc.local a mkswap command (or what was it) for
   /dev/hda2, and and swapon (or what was it)
5) Put the restore of the hda2_copy.Z file in the appropriate rc file
   (don't remember which) so that it is executed when you shutdown the
   system (i do that with CTRL-ALT-DEL).

Then Windows 95 will see an empty drive D on which to put its swap.
Linux will recreate its swap space each time it boots. It's is fast
enough :-)

If you want a permanent swap file tou should set that up first, then
save the file in Linux. You don't have to save more than 128K or so
because the contents of the Swap-file is not important information,
only the header containts some critical information.

I am using this mechanism for a shared swapfile between Windows 3.11
and Linux.

Klaas

2. Term - what happened to it?

3. Linux-Netscape6 on FreeBSD 3.2 : libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file

4. Red Hat 7.3 ? When?

5. Can Linux and FreeBSD share a swap partition?

6. Unix Programming FAQ (v1.34)

7. Sharing swap between FreeBSD and Linux, not enough partitions

8. question: boot error

9. Create FreeBSD Shared Library from linux port

10. Linux and FreeBSD swap share?

11. Mounting Linux NFS share on FreeBSD (Mac OS X)

12. Can Linux/FreeBSD share swap?

13. FreeBSD/Linux FS sharing