libc.so.3.0 ????? Where the hell can i get this library?

libc.so.3.0 ????? Where the hell can i get this library?

Post by User » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Yikes!

I installed qpop and it refuses to work without the shared library
libc.so.3.0   the problem is that I don't know where to get the
update. Can someone help me out?

Thanks a bunch.

please email to

thanks in advance.

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Yikes!

> I installed qpop and it refuses to work without the shared library
> libc.so.3.0   the problem is that I don't know where to get the
> update. Can someone help me out?

> Thanks a bunch.

> please email to

> thanks in advance.

Repeat # 85451568657 of this question. the qpop package is from the
-current distribution, while you are still running either 2.1.0 or 2.1.5
release, with libc.so.2.2  . What you need to do is create a symlink
pointing libc.so.3.0 to your existing libc.so.2.2  . Also remember to
uncomment the pop3 line at the bottom of /etc/inetd.conf to enable the
pop server. That's all I did and it works fine.
--

Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

libc.so.3.0 ????? Where the hell can i get this library?

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > Yikes!

> > I installed qpop and it refuses to work without the shared library
> > libc.so.3.0   the problem is that I don't know where to get the
> > update. Can someone help me out?

> > Thanks a bunch.

> > please email to

I tried to send it both ways as requested, but got a "host unknown"
response and my e-mail returned.
Quote:

Post by Shawn Care » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > Yikes!

> > I installed qpop and it refuses to work without the shared library
> > libc.so.3.0   the problem is that I don't know where to get the
> > update. Can someone help me out?

> > [...]

> Repeat # 85451568657 of this question. the qpop package is from the
> -current distribution, while you are still running either 2.1.0 or 2.1.5
> release, with libc.so.2.2  . What you need to do is create a symlink
> pointing libc.so.3.0 to your existing libc.so.2.2  . Also remember to
> uncomment the pop3 line at the bottom of /etc/inetd.conf to enable the
> pop server. That's all I did and it works fine.
> --

Is this really OK to do?  I thought it was safe to "symlink-upgrade" for
minor number changes, but potentially disastrous for major number
changes.

-Shawn

Post by Ken Bigelo » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > > Yikes!

> > > I installed qpop and it refuses to work without the shared library
> > > libc.so.3.0   the problem is that I don't know where to get the
> > > update. Can someone help me out?

> > > [...]

> > Repeat # 85451568657 of this question. the qpop package is from the
> > -current distribution, while you are still running either 2.1.0 or 2.1.5
> > release, with libc.so.2.2  . What you need to do is create a symlink
> > pointing libc.so.3.0 to your existing libc.so.2.2  . Also remember to
> > uncomment the pop3 line at the bottom of /etc/inetd.conf to enable the
> > pop server. That's all I did and it works fine.
> > --

> Is this really OK to do?  I thought it was safe to "symlink-upgrade" for
> minor number changes, but potentially disastrous for major number
> changes.

As I said above, I did it and it works. That's the primary test in any
such situation.

However, if you can't accept the truth of an observed fact without an
explanation, one of the FreeBSD development team (I think it was Jordan
Hubbard, but not entirely sure) indicated that the number change was
needed because two functions were *deleted* from this library. As a
result, nothing in 2.2 was modified, nor was anything added to form 3.0.
--

Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

libc.so.3.0 ????? Where the hell can i get this library?

Post by Gary Clark » Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> Is this really OK to do?  I thought it was safe to "symlink-upgrade" for
>> minor number changes, but potentially disastrous for major number
>> changes.
>As I said above, I did it and it works. That's the primary test in any
>such situation.
>However, if you can't accept the truth of an observed fact without an
>explanation, one of the FreeBSD development team (I think it was Jordan
>Hubbard, but not entirely sure) indicated that the number change was
>needed because two functions were *deleted* from this library. As a
>result, nothing in 2.2 was modified, nor was anything added to form 3.0.

Ok,

This might be fine for minor things here and there.  But you WILL run
into problems if you do such things as 'Make World' or an upgrade.
The reason for this is that as you add packages, you will be linking
the libc.so.3.0 library!  That means when you get into Current and replace
that symlinked lib with the real thing, you may get random breakage.

I know that this can happen, because it happened to me!  I was running
2.1.5-STABLE and then upgraded to CURRENT.  All of my apps that had
linked to that 3.0 lib started to have problems...

You can do it, but it would just be easier to compile qpopper.  It's
not that hard to do.

Hope it helps,

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company

   FreeBSD FAQ at ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/docs/freebsd-faq.ascii

Post by Terry Lamber » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

] > > What you need to do is create a symlink pointing libc.so.3.0
] > > to your existing libc.so.2.2  . Also remember to uncomment
] > > the pop3 line at the bottom of /etc/inetd.conf to enable the
] > > pop server. That's all I did and it works fine.
] >
]
] As I said above, I did it and it works. That's the primary test in any
] such situation.
]
] However, if you can't accept the truth of an observed fact without
] an explanation, one of the FreeBSD development team (I think it
] was Jordan Hubbard, but not entirely sure) indicated that the
] number change was needed because two functions were *deleted*
] from this library. As a result, nothing in 2.2 was modified, nor
] was anything added to form 3.0.

Specifically, the ISO networking/address manipulation functions
were removed; this is most probably a bogus method of implementing
the change (the correct way would have been to make all address
family manipulkation "pluggable" via dlopen and a configuration
file, and cannonizing the function space to remove address
dependence).

However, yes, it is "safe".

                                        Terry Lambert

---
or previous employers.

Post by David M. Fogart » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > > please email to

> I tried to send it both ways as requested, but got a "host unknown"
> response and my e-mail returned.

You can't really e-mail to an ip from most systems as it will try to
look up the host _name_ 205.179.167.58 which will obviously fail since
it's not a name....  There are some that will deliver directly to an IP
if all else fails but unless yours is configured to do so...It's a no
go.

Just so you know....

-Dave

--
~|~|_  _   |  _  _ _|   _  |`  /~`|_  _  _  _
 | | |(/_  |_(_)| (_|  (_)~|~  \_,| |(_((_)_\
Ever been to the Realm of Chaos? Check it out!!

Post by Frederic G. MARA » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>> I tried to send it both ways as requested, but got a "host unknown"
>> response and my e-mail returned.
>You can't really e-mail to an ip from most systems as it will try to
>look up the host _name_ 205.179.167.58 which will obviously fail since
>it's not a name....  There are some that will deliver directly to an IP
>if all else fails but unless yours is configured to do so...It's a no
>go.

There IS a workaround if the host is directly connected: you can send
the message manually using SMTP, for instance with
"telnet 205.179.167.58 smtp" which will connect you to the SMTP
server. You can then send the message manually using SMTP data
transfer. Unwieldy, but I did it a couple of times.

libc.so.3.0 ????? Where the hell can i get this library?

Post by Brian Some » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: > > > please email to
: > > >

: >

Post by Ken Bigelo » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> >> I tried to send it both ways as requested, but got a "host unknown"
> >> response and my e-mail returned.

> >You can't really e-mail to an ip from most systems as it will try to
> >look up the host _name_ 205.179.167.58 which will obviously fail since
> >it's not a name....  There are some that will deliver directly to an IP
> >if all else fails but unless yours is configured to do so...It's a no
> >go.

> There IS a workaround if the host is directly connected: you can send
> the message manually using SMTP, for instance with
> "telnet 205.179.167.58 smtp" which will connect you to the SMTP
> server. You can then send the message manually using SMTP data
> transfer. Unwieldy, but I did it a couple of times.

brackets make the difference. Maybe I overlooked them that time.
--
Ken

Are you interested in   |
byte-sized education    |   http://www.play-hookey.com
over the Internet?      |

1. "Can't find shared library 'libc.so.3.0'"

This problem cropped up out of the blue, and a back-up and
re-install did not fix it.

I have (had) a working-perfectly 2.1.0R installation of
FreeBSD, with which I was greatly pleased.  Apache, uemacs.
bash, etc. (even "unknown" Netscape).  In my usual fashion, I
began playing around with configurations, fouled some things up
pretty good, and what-the-heck, nothing crucial is running, so
I just went ahead and reinstalled.

Apache, popper, popclient, and uemacs now claim that
libc.so.3.0 cannot be found.  This does not seem surprising,
since libc.so.2.2.0 is the version in residence, and has been
all along.

Is there a libc.so.3.0? That would seem to be the easiest way
to fix things, even assuming that the error should not be
happening in the first place.  ldconfig seems to be doing its
job.

I have no idea.  Whatsoever.  And really, I'm not as stupid as
this sounds.

2. Samba and MusicMatch

3. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

4. freeWAIS 0.5 for Linux install issues

5. Getting a "libc.so.3.0" not found error...

6. compatiblity sco v5

7. Anyone know where i can get the "libc.so.3.0" library?

8. delta3.com and firewall

9. Is libc.so.3.0 broken?

10. Can't find libc.so.3.0, Imake.tmpl

11. Where is libc.so.3.0 for 2.1R ?

12. Need libc.so.3.0 for FreeBSD

13. Where to get libc.so.3.0 for i386/FreeBSD2.1.5?