Problem setuid

Post by Michael Hallgre » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm about to interface some scripts on W3 (in a fairly secure corner).
My
problem is in particular that I need to run a shellscript that requires
run by root. I set the -t option, I tried the -s option, but my script
keeps
generating an error (that the user (nobody) running the deamon W3
doesn't
have the right to execute.

Please, gimme some advice.

        Cheers

                Michael

--
Michael Hallgren, Easynet France
Write : http://www.loria.fr/tex

Problem setuid

Post by Ollivier Robe » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> problem is in particular that I need to run a shellscript that requires
> to run by root. I set the -t option, I tried the -s option, but my script

Setuid shell scripts are forbidden for security reasons. Use either a C
wrapper or a setuid Perl script (much better IMO).
--

FreeBSD FAQ: <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/>

1. mysterious shared library problem (setuid problem?)

This problem just gets stranger and stranger.  I discovered that my xterm
programs (nxterm and xterm) were setuid root (why are they setuid root, by the
way?  It seems to be standard with the package, but I can't imagine why.)  Once
I get rid of the setuid root bit, the work fine.  But other programs that are
run using setuid seem to have the same problem.  In particular, if I run a
program through at, it barfs for lack of libraries.  Similarly if my httpd
daemon tries to run a cgi script.

Any ideas?
TIA,
Yaron

--
/- Yaron M. Minsky --------------------------------------------\
    H: (315) 423-9907                        O: (607) 255-4934

2. Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 2/SC And Linux

3. Need help with setuid() problems on 386/ix with setuid root program.

4. HELP: need memtest disk image

5. Setuid on shell scripts and permissions problem

6. Can dual-processor motherboards run with just one cpu?

7. Linux C-news relaynews setuid problem

8. Running Linux Headless

9. Setuid Problem

10. Setuid problems & OpenSSH X-forwarding

11. setuid problem?

12. setuid problems

13. "Setuid execution not allowed" - what's the problem ?