routed is trashing my 'default' route

Post by Andrew Atren » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,

Hopefully this simple problem has a simple solution :) ..

Like many of us I connect to the internet through a
dialup ppp link. The link works great provided 'routed'
is *not* running. If routed is running, invariably it
deletes my default route :o(

So, my questions are:

1. How do I tell routed to leave my default route alone? Is
   it with a command option, or perhaps something in a
   conf file?

2. Why do I need routed? ( Currently I'm running without it. )

3. If I *do* need some kind of routing daemon, is gated a
   better choice?

Thanks in advance,

Please reply via email if possible

Cheers,

Andrew

( Opinions are my own... not those any employer past or present. )

routed is trashing my 'default' route

Post by Ken St » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Like many of us I connect to the internet through a
> dialup ppp link. The link works great provided 'routed'
> is *not* running. If routed is running, invariably it
> deletes my default route :o(
> 2. Why do I need routed? ( Currently I'm running without it. )

You probably don't, static routes are probably fine.

Quote:> 3. If I *do* need some kind of routing daemon, is gated a
>    better choice?

Yes, in fact, the only "real" choice in this situation.

YMMV,

-Ken Stox

Post by Tony Griffith » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hi folks,

> Hopefully this simple problem has a simple solution :) ..

> Like many of us I connect to the internet through a
> dialup ppp link. The link works great provided 'routed'
> is *not* running. If routed is running, invariably it
> deletes my default route :o(

> So, my questions are:

> 1. How do I tell routed to leave my default route alone? Is
>    it with a command option, or perhaps something in a
>    conf file?

You can't as far as I am aware

Quote:

> 2. Why do I need routed? ( Currently I'm running without it. )

Leave routed alone and it will not molest you

Quote:

> 3. If I *do* need some kind of routing daemon, is gated a
>    better choice?

No, and probably no

Basically I doubt that your ISP is sending RIP packets down the wire at
you and certainly *doesn't* want any RIP packets from you, thus 'routed'
(what an entirely appropriated name to give this piece of software
although they got the spelling wrong! ;-) ) will timeout *ALL* your
routes, including those you added statically or automatically via PPP.

You don't need to run it.  The PPP software can setup a default route to
the 'thing' on the other end of the PPP link and that is all you should
need.

Tony

Post by t.. » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>: Basically I doubt that your ISP is sending RIP packets down the wire at
>: you and certainly *doesn't* want any RIP packets from you, thus 'routed'
>: (what an entirely appropriated name to give this piece of software
>: although they got the spelling wrong! ;-) ) will timeout *ALL* your
>: routes, including those you added statically or automatically via PPP.

>I don't believe this.  If it is the case, then I assert that it is wrong.
>routed has no right to delete static routes.  Consider this:

routed won't delete static routes, however it might be worth mentioning that
the kernel before 2.X didn't have a mechanism for adding them.  (at least,
there was no static option in the route command)

In any case, RIP depends on broadcast traffic, and I don't believe that pppd
will pass broadcast traffic out a serial line.  (broadcast packets
have little meaning on a point-to-point link anyway)  I have found
that the easiest way of doing it is to put all the appropriate addresses in
/etc/gateways and not run routed until the link comes up.  Once that happens
I run routed and it puts in all the routes.

Post by Ken Bigelo » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> : Basically I doubt that your ISP is sending RIP packets down the wire at
> : you and certainly *doesn't* want any RIP packets from you, thus 'routed'
> : (what an entirely appropriated name to give this piece of software
> : although they got the spelling wrong! ;-) ) will timeout *ALL* your
> : routes, including those you added statically or automatically via PPP.

> I don't believe this.  If it is the case, then I assert that it is wrong.
> routed has no right to delete static routes.  Consider this:
>   [Example deleted]

> Anyway, I run 'routed -q' and have static routes on my home machine,
> and routed's never deleted _ANY_ of them on me.

I must concur. Every one of my FreeBSD installations, from my local
gateway/httpd server/etc on down, had routed -q enabled on it by the
install routine, and no routes have *ever* been killed by any local
mechanism other than the normal timeout/expiration of non-static routes.

Ken

Post by Christoph Badu » Tue, 02 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>In any case, RIP depends on broadcast traffic, and I don't believe that pppd
>will pass broadcast traffic out a serial line.

It doesn't.  In fact, routed works just fine over  point-to-point links.

You may get some unwanted effects over demand dialed links depending on
the version of routed you are using, though.
--
Christoph Badura
O'Reilly/International Thomson Verlag

1. Routing to two ISP's instead of one: what replaces default route?

Until recently, I used a Red Hat Linux box (2.2 kernel) to masquerade and
firewall my LAN to the Internet. I just needed a static default route on
the Linux box to make everything work.

Now I've got an ADSL connection to PacBell (pbi.net) and a T1 to UUNET. The
ADSL connection uses a simple Alcatel modem, while the T1 uses a Cisco
2620. The Linux box has 3 interfaces, one to each provider and one to the
LAN.

I'd like traffic to use both interfaces, whichever makes most sense for a
given connection. For example, a connection to another UUNET customer
should go out the T1, and connections to PBI customers and servers should
go out the ADSL line.

What do I need to do to make this happen?

The Cisco isn't running any router protocol, and is just handing packets to
the router at "the other end".

I tried "ripquery" (a RIP utility that comes with the routed RPM) from my
Linux box to the ISP router at PacBell and to the Cisco and both attempts
resulted in "query refused". I've got routed running but I'm guessing it's
not accomplishing anything given the ripquery results.

I suppose I could use static routes for 64/8 and 65/8 and let all other
traffic take a specific interface, but it seems like I should be able to
dynamically assign a route based on cost to the destination.

--
Kenneth Porter
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/

2. CD players don't work anymore

3. 'No route to host' routing problems

4. Results of search for LINUX soundcard...

5. What is a 'default route'??

6. Creative Labs CD/SB 32 PnP help needed

7. DIP patch (dynamic IP address trapping, route 'default' option)

8. adobe acrobat reader in redhat 8

9. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

10. routed trashes routing tables

11. TERM-compiled 'routed' or 'gated'

12. How do I get 'routed' and 'gated' (source code)?

13. transition from isp 'A' to isp 'B' routing problem