Hard disk LED stays on after ATAPI CD-ROM probe

Hard disk LED stays on after ATAPI CD-ROM probe

Post by S Telfo » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.7-R on a Pentium box: MicroStar MS-5124
motherboard, AMI BIOS, SiS 551x chipset, an EIDE hard disk on the
primary IDE bus and a Sony CDU77E ATAPI CD-ROM drive on the secondary
IDE bus.  When the kernel boots up, the hard disk LED indicator on the
case (which I guess is connected to the motherboard HD LED connector,
though I haven't checked) is unlit until the "wdc1:..." and "wcd0:..."
messages appear and then stays lit for good. Here's what it says:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST51080A>
wd0: 1033MB (2116800 sectors), 2100 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU77E/1.2g>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

The CD-ROM drive seems to function fine otherwise. Does anybody
recognise this problem, and if so, know how to fix it?

TIA.

--
Scott Telford
Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre        "Every worthwhile creation is at

Post by Michael Maxwel » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.7-R on a Pentium box: MicroStar MS-5124
> motherboard, AMI BIOS, SiS 551x chipset, an EIDE hard disk on the
> primary IDE bus and a Sony CDU77E ATAPI CD-ROM drive on the secondary
> IDE bus.  When the kernel boots up, the hard disk LED indicator on the
> case (which I guess is connected to the motherboard HD LED connector,
> though I haven't checked) is unlit until the "wdc1:..." and "wcd0:..."
> messages appear and then stays lit for good. Here's what it says:

> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST51080A>
> wd0: 1033MB (2116800 sectors), 2100 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD-ROM CDU77E/1.2g>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
> wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 256 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0: no disc inside, unlocked

I'm not too skilled on the quirks of IDE hardware, but what if you put
the CDROM on the primary "slave" device?

--

"User Error: replace user and reboot."

1. ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized by probe on boot

I have 2 completely different systems running FreeBSD which do not
recognize the CD-ROM drive at boot up using the install floppies.  When I
say different, I mean different manufactureres CD-ROM drives, different
manufactureres IDE controllers, different manufactureres motherboards,
different BIOS manufacturers, etc. etc.

They both fail to recognize the CD-ROM drive with 2.1, 2.1.5 and 2.1.6.
They both WILL properly recognize the CD-ROM if I build a kernel without
the wd2 and wd3 devices defined.

I suspect this may have something to do with other peoples ATAPI CD-ROM
probe problems.  Evidently probing for the non-existant hard-drives on
the controller screws up either the CD-ROM drive or the IDE controller
(I'm not sure which) such that the probe for the CD-ROM drive fails.

I think 2 things are needed here:

1.  After a failed probe for an IDE device, the controller should be reset.

2.  It should be possible to disable the wd devices from probing at boot
    time.

I think if this is done, many peoples problems could be solved.

I have not had a chance to try the 2.2-GAMMA boot floppy yet.  I
apologize if this is already addressed in 2.2.

--
William A. Gianopoulos; Raytheon Company

This is my personal opinion and not that of my employer.

2. printer driver

3. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

4. Troff to Prescribe converter needed

5. Mitsumi FX001DE (ATAPI IDE) CD-ROM as THIRD hard drive on 486

6. RedHat Linux 5.2 Troubling Installing on Dell 466/T

7. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

8. Slow X

9. installing to EDI-disks from ATAPI CD-ROM (mistery)

10. SCSI root disk and ATAPI CD-ROM

11. atapi ide cd-rom not detected when using idecd boot disk????!!!!

12. Red Hat lilo problem with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI disk

13. Linux and ATAPI CD-ROM recognised from boot disk, not from LILO