? NT-partition repare from a FreeBSD partition ?

? NT-partition repare from a FreeBSD partition ?

Post by Chris Smit » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Well I'm not sure that they have an NTFS fsck program (anybody?), but you
can run the Windows NT Repair function from the installation boot disks.  It
sounds like he's got a bad hard drive though, since he's getting an I/O
error.  If he just wants to get his data off, he could try reinstalling NT
into a new directory and see if it will load.  If that works, then he should
retrieve his data ASAP and then just repartition the drive and reinstall.

Chris Smith

Quote:> Hello All :-)

Post by MeatHea » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Well I'm not sure that they have an NTFS fsck program (anybody?), but you
> can run the Windows NT Repair function from the installation boot disks.
It
> sounds like he's got a bad hard drive though, since he's getting an I/O
> error.  If he just wants to get his data off, he could try reinstalling NT
> into a new directory and see if it will load.  If that works, then he
should
> retrieve his data ASAP and then just repartition the drive and reinstall.

> Chris Smith

> > Hello All :-)

> > I'm posting this for a freind. Help pleeease ! The friend is
> > cut off of the Net 'cause the NT-part of the PC is dead
> > -( and the I-net connection was on it. The big problem is
> > that on the NT part of the HD there is a lot of important
> > data files.

> > Here's the situation:

> > N.V. speaking: "" there were 2 systems on the PC: FreeBSD +
> > Win-TN. The FreeBSD is still loading OK. When trying to load
> > NT it says (A.T. - I got it in a phone conversation, may be
> > the exact on-screen notatation is a bit different):

> > 1. OS loader v 4.01
> > 2. disk input/output error.
> >    Status = 00001000
> >    File corrupt...
> > 3. Everithing frezes

> > While trying to boot from a disquette:

> > 1. the system loads OK, but
> > 2. can't see C:\ drive.

> > May be some low level savvy manipulations are possible for
> > going to and recover the NT partition using some BSD
> > software ? Or some NT disquettes loadable soft ? I'm afraid
> > of loosing my data if I just use Fdisk..""

> > AT: What's your file system on NT ?
> > NV: I do not know... somebody help !

> > A.T.

This is what I would do.  Install NT into a new partition and boot from
that.
Unless it is a bad drive, in which case you may loose data.  I have done
this
many times, in fact I usually install NT 2 times, once for normal use and
once
for emergency back up.  Only because windows can become corrupted so
easily.

MeatHead
Electrical Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI

1. Performance of native FreeBSD partition vs FAT32 partition on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE

Hi,

I am planning to set up a FreeBSD file server for my small network.  This
file server will provide access to a large number of WAV audio files - in
total there are about 25gb worth at the moment, and each file is between 30
and 100mb, with the average being around 50mb.  I will be using UDMA IDE
hard drives (1 * 27gb to start with, hopefully 2 * fairly soon afterwards)
rather than SCSI, to keep costs down.  The FreeBSD machine will be a Dell
Pentium Pro 200 with 40mb of ram.

I will be sharing the files over a switched, full duplex 100mb/s network,
using Samba 2 so that they can be accessed from Windows.  Initially only one
workstation will access them at a time.

Ideally, I would like these IDE hard drives to be formatted as FAT32.
Therefore I would have a small FreeBSD HD, say 2gb, as the primary drive,
which I would boot from.  Then IDE drives 2 and 3 would be formatted as
FAT32, and would be mounted under FreeBSD using mount_msdos.  I'd probably
mount them Read-Only for safety, as their contents wont change very often.

The reason I want to do this is that it means I could at any time take out
one or both of the drives and put it into any win98 machine - useful if my
FreeBSD box dies, or if I need to put the files in another machine for any
reason.

However, this will be a false economy if mounting FAT32 would significantly
impact on the file sharing performance.

Could anyone tell me whether there will be much or any performance loss
using mounted FAT32 as compared to native FreeBSD partitions?

Thanks,

Tom

PS. Any performance tips for making the FreeBSD machine as fast and
efficient for this task as possible would also be much appreciated - e.g.
sysctl tweaks, etc

2. KDE3 & Unicode Support

3. Cannot add Linux partition afert NT partitioning

4. Problems booting up OpenBSD

5. LIMIT of partitions per disk (fdisk, kernel, partition, NT, OS/2, Windows, 95)

6. IO::Socket::SSL

7. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

8. Cron jobs listing

9. Partitions, Partitions, Partitions

10. Partition, Partition, Where the HELL is my Partition!

11. Partitions partitions partitions

12. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

13. Will FreeBSD work with Adaptec 29160N and 18GB Atlas 10k w/Windows NT on another partition?