What motherboards would you recommend?

Post by vector_sig » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:11:51

Hi all:

  In the past there was a section on the FBSD handbook that is called
Jordan's pick. Tyan and Asus were mentioned. But I talked to some
people in a shop and I was told that they prefer mother boards with
all chips from the same company whereas boards like Asus has chips
from all over. The advantage of boards with chip from one place is
that, as they said, one can't blame the other for faults in the board.

  So, which board do most of you recommend? My next computer I plan to
have about 1 gig memory, DVD-RAM, external modem or DSL, and also run
VMWare. Are boards with on-board sound card and graphics good or just
a waste if you put PCI sound or graphics cards in?

  Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot!

vector sigma

--
BTW, the knowledge of people in this group is godly; I think I want to
lower my shields and surrender my weapons and be assimilated by the

Post by j.. » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:49:13

> Hi all:

>  In the past there was a section on the FBSD handbook that is called
> Jordan's pick. Tyan and Asus were mentioned. But I talked to some
> people in a shop and I was told that they prefer mother boards with
> all chips from the same company whereas boards like Asus has chips
> from all over. The advantage of boards with chip from one place is
> that, as they said, one can't blame the other for faults in the board.

I use Tyan and have never had any problem with their motherboards.  I've
never been too concerned with checking the logo on every chip on the
motherboards they make.

--
John J. Rushford

Post by Grah » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 21:35:34

>   In the past there was a section on the FBSD handbook that is called
> Jordan's pick. Tyan and Asus were mentioned. But I talked to some
> people in a shop and I was told that they prefer mother boards with
> all chips from the same company whereas boards like Asus has chips
> from all over. The advantage of boards with chip from one place is
> that, as they said, one can't blame the other for faults in the board.

Sounds like they want you to buy an expensive Intel motherboard with
expensive subpar Intel P4 processor and expensive RDRAM.

Quote:>   So, which board do most of you recommend? My next computer I plan to
> have about 1 gig memory, DVD-RAM, external modem or DSL, and also run
> VMWare. Are boards with on-board sound card and graphics good or just
> a waste if you put PCI sound or graphics cards in?

Don't go for boards with on-board graphics or audio if you are buying
these cards separately anyway! On-board graphics and audio are
notoriously subpar (unless you wait for the NForce Athlon motherboards
due out within a month).

Personally, I would go for an Athlon system, 1.4GHz, with a DDR Socket
A motherboard (AMD 760 now, KT266A in a months time, possibly SiS735
as well).

Best bet is to hit the hardware review sites and read up on recent
motherboards. SocketA.com, HardOCP.com, AnandTech.com,
OCWorkbench.com, etc, all have comprehensive reviews of motherboards,
processors and other components in a computer system.

Graham

Post by Steve Simmon » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:08:21

> In the past there was a section on the FBSD handbook that is called
> Jordan's pick. Tyan and Asus were mentioned. But I talked to some
> people in a shop and I was told that they prefer mother boards with
> all chips from the same company . . .

So who are you going to listen to, the fellow who uses the boards with
FBSD, or the guy in the shop who is trying to sell you something?  Who's
more likely to give you an unbiased and appropriate recommendation?  Not
the guy who's trying to sell you something and has never run BSD on it.

IMHO there are *zero* manufacturers out there who make all the chips on
their motherboards, including Intel.  And I'd feel a lot better about
the vendor who can pick the best of breed for each type rather than
being tied to everything coming from internal development.
--
"I don't like being quoted."
        -- anonymous

What motherboards would you recommend?

Post by Russ » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:17:53

I'd recommend supermicro, haven't had a single problem with them.
Quality ram is important too, corsair or crucial.

>Hi all:

>  In the past there was a section on the FBSD handbook that is called
>Jordan's pick. Tyan and Asus were mentioned. But I talked to some
>people in a shop and I was told that they prefer mother boards with
>all chips from the same company whereas boards like Asus has chips
>from all over. The advantage of boards with chip from one place is
>that, as they said, one can't blame the other for faults in the board.

>  So, which board do most of you recommend? My next computer I plan to
>have about 1 gig memory, DVD-RAM, external modem or DSL, and also run
>VMWare. Are boards with on-board sound card and graphics good or just
>a waste if you put PCI sound or graphics cards in?

>  Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot!

>vector sigma

What motherboards would you recommend?

Post by Craig Haarmeye » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 13:11:26

Ihave three "production" boxes, all with DFI motherboards. Flawless.......

--c