specified device does not match mounted device

specified device does not match mounted device

Post by Albert Kinderma » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:12:51

I admin, but do not own, a box that was needed for another task.
Someone copied the contents of the scsi drives to ide drives,
which were placed in a new machine.

When booting on the new machine, the root device is not found
since the boot sequence is looking for the scsi drives.  From the
mount root prompt, I can point the boot to /dev/ad0s1 and the boot
proceeds in single user mode.  None of the devices
/dev/ad0s1a,c,e,f are made so I cannot mount /usr and /var, but
disklabel shows the partitions as existing.  When I try to
MAKEDEV, it fails because the file system is read only.

If I try to remount / on /dev/ad0s1 with mount -u, I get the
message:
/dev/ad0s1 on / :specified device does not match mounted device

however, mount shows / is mounted on /dev/ad0s1

If I try with /dev/ad0s1a, mount returns file does not exist.

Any suggestions?

Al

--
Albert Kinderman      Department of Management Science
       California State University, Northridge

1. HELP! : Specified device does not match mounted device

I upgraded from via cvsup from 2.2.5 to 2.26. First I have build a
generic kernel and everything worked fine. Than I have build a
customized kernel and removed unused devices. This kernel also
worked well and I could boot with it. Than I got the idea to remove also
the unused devices from
the /dev directory.

After a little thougt I decided that this was not such a good idea and
started ./MAKEDEV all.

When I wanted to boot the next day I got an shell and I found out that
the devices
/dev/sd1s01a - /dev/sd1s1h where missing only sd1a to sd1h where there.
Though I created them
after mounting the root partition on an other mount point (Forcing the
mount of root failed with the
message in the subject line) using:

ln rsd1a rsd1s1a and sd1a sd1s1a .... (and so on)

This worked fine for the /usr /var and the /home partitions. When I boot
now I get the message:

rsd1s1a clean (fir all used partitions).

But the root partion mount fails withe the message: Specified device
does not match mounted device.

When I boot with the 2.2.5 kernel Everything works fine. There I get the
message :
Changing root device to sd1a

and every partition will be mounted.

So what is going on? And what can I do to get around this problem

--
Georg Wagner
ITMF-WGR  FS117   Tel. 6 69 92 / +41 (0)1 236 69 92

2. Disk Upgrade? Coping filesystem fully from one disk to another?

3. specified device does not match mounted device

4. modgetty versus pbmplus

5. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

6. Sun Workstation

7. need device: devices.pci.b7100010:devices.pci.b7100092

8. st.conf entry for ARCHIVE Python 02635-XXX596A

9. character device, block device , raw device?

10. PCMCIA problem: Device info does not match JEDEC info!

11. Problem with 2.4.14 mounting i2o device as root device Adaptec 3200 RAID controller?

12. Problem with 2.4.14 mounting i2o device as root device Adapte

13. Mount point does not exist/device fd0 does not exist