Hardware for multiple monitors?

Post by vector_sig » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:03:50

Hello world:

  I have several spare monitors gathering dust
at home, and now I want to attach them all to
my FreeBSD box. Is there any special hardware
that I need? My computer has only one monitor
port so far.

  Can anyone please help? Thanks a lot.

vector sigma

Hardware for multiple monitors?

Post by John Nielse » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:17:07

Quote:> Hello world:

>   I have several spare monitors gathering dust
> at home, and now I want to attach them all to
> my FreeBSD box. Is there any special hardware
> that I need? My computer has only one monitor
> port so far.

Just from a hardware standpoint, you need a video card for each monitor.
IIRC, they all have to be PCI (plus one AGP, if your motherboard believes in
such things) and play nicely together.  The latter becomes increasingly
unlikely the more you try to have.  I've never played around with having
more than two video cards installed in one system at once.

As for software, it is possible to set up X to use multiple screens.  I'm
sure there are several FAQ's available on how to do this, but I haven't done
it myself.  I don't know if it's possible to run a non-X terminal on
anything but the default console.  My brief perusal of the manpages (vga,
syscons, getty) didn't indicate that it was.

Have fun,

JN

Post by mic.. » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:56:56

> Hello world:
>   I have several spare monitors gathering dust
> at home, and now I want to attach them all to
> my FreeBSD box. Is there any special hardware
> that I need? My computer has only one monitor
> port so far.

You need to put several video cards or video cards with dual output
like the Matrox G450 and run XFree4 which supports such things.

--
Michel Talon

Post by Chris Tophe » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:21:36

> > Hello world:

> >   I have several spare monitors gathering dust
> > at home, and now I want to attach them all to
> > my FreeBSD box. Is there any special hardware
> > that I need? My computer has only one monitor
> > port so far.

Multiple-channel cards or multiple, recent PCI cards.

Joseph Cheek of Redmond Linux wrote up his experiences mostly using a
Matrox G450 in a shopping rag which doesn't have the article on line.

He said multiple older cards give a POST error when booting. (That's
about all he said about it.)

There are two schemes.  1) Each monitor is a different X11 screen (or is
that display?).  2) The two monitors work as one wide (or I suppose tall)
X11 screen. The first is old-hat with the right cards.  The second is a
XFree86 4.x thing called Xinerama.

Post by joseph che » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:43:08

> > > Hello world:

> > >   I have several spare monitors gathering dust
> > > at home, and now I want to attach them all to
> > > my FreeBSD box. Is there any special hardware
> > > that I need? My computer has only one monitor
> > > port so far.

> Multiple-channel cards or multiple, recent PCI cards.

> Joseph Cheek of Redmond Linux wrote up his experiences mostly using a
> Matrox G450 in a shopping rag which doesn't have the article on line.

> He said multiple older cards give a POST error when booting. (That's
> about all he said about it.)

> There are two schemes.  1) Each monitor is a different X11 screen (or is
> that display?).  2) The two monitors work as one wide (or I suppose tall)
> X11 screen. The first is old-hat with the right cards.  The second is a
> XFree86 4.x thing called Xinerama.

the article i wrote just came online at
http://www.sourcemagazine.com/csm/Forum1/HTML/000026.html.  assuming
you want to use XFree86 4 with Xinerama [which is what i recommend],
you just need a dual-head card or multiple video cards [as chris
said].

if you pop in a second card into your box and get post errors, most
likely one or both of your cards doesn't support multimon.  i have had
good results with my matrox g450 except when it comes to 1]
antialiased fonts with KDE or 2] OpenGL DRI rendering.

thanks!

joe

www.redmondlinux.org