FreeBSD Browser?

Post by jo.. » Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:01:27

I was looking at FreeBSD 'zine (I believe I followed a link from
slashdot) and saw an article that mentioned a 'FreeBSD Browser', but
didn't actually say what it was, or give a filename.  Is this something
relatively new (I'm only familiar with 3.4), and what is it's executable
name?

John Meshkoff    johnm at sivakalpa dot org
remove 'johnpipe' in 'From:' to reply
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/
"I do not know that I know the self fully,
neither do I know that I know him not"
                ...from the Upanishads

FreeBSD Browser?

Post by Donn Mille » Sun, 18 Mar 2001 19:33:03

> I was looking at FreeBSD 'zine (I believe I followed a link from
> slashdot) and saw an article that mentioned a 'FreeBSD Browser', but
> didn't actually say what it was, or give a filename.  Is this something
> relatively new (I'm only familiar with 3.4), and what is it's executable
> name?

http://www.freebsdzine.org/200103/browser.php3

FreeBSD Browser?

Post by jo.. » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:06:50

>> I was looking at FreeBSD 'zine (I believe I followed a link from
>> slashdot) and saw an article that mentioned a 'FreeBSD Browser', but
>> didn't actually say what it was, or give a filename.  Is this something
>> relatively new (I'm only familiar with 3.4), and what is it's executable
>> name?
> http://www.freebsdzine.org/200103/browser.php3

Thanks, Donn.  I went back and re-read the article; I must have dozed off
when reading it before as I somehow missed the link in the article to:

http://www.cfcl.com/md/usr/bin/vi

John Meshkoff    johnm at sivakalpa dot org
remove 'johnpipe' in 'From:' to reply
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/
"I do not know that I know the self fully,
neither do I know that I know him not"
                ...from the Upanishads

1. FreeBSD's Future Harmed by Browser Emulation?

I was going through my Apache log files and realized the truly obvious.
I was showing up as a Linux user because I was browsing using Netscape
for Linux under emulation--I had neglected to go back to the native
FreeBSD version after doing some browser performance comparisons.

A few questions came to mind...

If we use Netscape for Linux under emulation, aren't we contributing to
the headcount of Linux users on various websites we visit rather than
contributing to the headcount of FreeBSD users?

Isn't artificially inflating the number of Linux users while
artificially deflating the number of FreeBSD users bad for the FreeBSD
community?

Also, what is the purpose of having a Linux version of Netscape in ports
when we have the same version of Netscape available as a native FreeBSD
version?  Isn't a better approach to regularly contact Netscape until
they improve the native FreeBSD version?

Why don't we ask Netscape to release a native FreeBSD version of
Netscape 6 preview?  And while we're at it, lets ask them to have
FreeBSD on the list of over a dozen operating systems we have to select
from on their feedback form.

http://home.netscape.com/support/index.html

If the FreeBSD version of Netscape 6 is buggier than the Linux version
because it didn't get tested by us, we'll probably end up using Netscape
for Linux under emulation.  Yes, FreeBSD advocacy can be a pain and we
all have busy schedules, but if we don't take 5-10 minutes a day to
actively advocate FreeBSD, who will?

I've nothing against using Linux emulation for things like games but the
browser seems to be an important case because it is used by many
websites to keep track of user profiles including operating system
usage.

2. check process memory in Sparc & HP-UX

3. Konqueror (KDE2 browser) in FreeBSD?

4. aSmit "FastPath" was changed. What this happen ?

5. FreeBSD Web Browsers?

6. ./configure for KDE apps fails on KDE

7. Good Web Browser for FreeBSD (or help me make Netscape work)

8. Has everyone read this FUD rebuttal

9. VRML-Browser for FreeBSD anyone?

10. Getting HotJava browser to work with FreeBSD 2.2.6

11. Flash support in any FreeBSD web browser?

12. Graphical browser - FreeBSD

13. looking for open source object browser (besides "oo-browser")